50cc

bych_91
This post is 5673 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

for a 50cc bike do you need to do your cbt if you've got a full driving licence?

Hey, It's not a legal requirement to complete a CBT to ride a moped if you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001. Despite this, the DSA recommend that you do so.

..and thw definition of a moped is 49cc and limited to 30mph - be sue what you buy conforms.

You could buy a moped registered b4 August 1 1977 which had no speed/kerbside weight restrictions and run along at somewhere between 40mph & 65 mph as long as it can be propeled by its pedals, for an undetermind distance, good examples of this are FS1E(A) Suzi AP50 Honda SS50 and all those super fast eyetie mopeds Garrelli Tiger cross/ Rekord etc but this bikes now cost a fortune. I have 2 FS1's (later than 1977) which 1 has been returned to 77 spec and returns between 40 & 50 mph.

So in a nutshell there are to definations of a moped.

Regards Jim

You could buy a moped registered b4 August 1 1977 which had no speed/kerbside weight restrictions and run along at somewhere between 40mph & 65 mph as long as it can be propeled by its pedals, for an undetermind distance, good examples of this are FS1E(A) Suzi AP50 Honda SS50 and all those super fast eyetie mopeds Garrelli Tiger cross/ Rekord etc but this bikes now cost a fortune. I have 2 FS1's (later than 1977) which 1 has been returned to 77 spec and returns between 40 & 50 mph.

So in a nutshell there are to definations of a moped.

Regards Jim

yeah you're right, before my time! what i was getting at is that a 'modern' moped is limited to 30mph - in the Bristol Area, Avon and Somerset Constabulary had a purge on deistricted mopeds last year, as so many were being ridden blatatly beyond their restricted top speed; i think they crushed a few in the end!

yeah you're right, before my time! what i was getting at is that a 'modern' moped is limited to 30mph - in the Bristol Area, Avon and Somerset Constabulary had a purge on deistricted mopeds last year, as so many were being ridden blatatly beyond their restricted top speed; i think they crushed a few in the end!

Hi There,

So what happens here ? I sell my FS1 to a teenager where I cannot assertain his/her licence status, as i stated my FS1 is 77 spec but plated as the 30 mph set but is quicker do I get into trouble or is it buyer beware ?

Regards Jim

responsibilty of the buyer surely? i dont think you are liable, as you could be selling to a full licence holder. its legally a moped anyway so can be ridden on a CBT by a 16 year-old

Bych 91, chech your car licence for provisional entitlement, new car licences do not automatically have motorcycle provisional entitlement, and those that do sometimes "loose" it when you pass the car test. read your paper counterpart carefully.

I know some FULL bike licence holders that have recently passed a car test, only to find their full A licence records have been overwritten by the car pass.

Bych 91, chech your car licence for provisional entitlement, new car licences do not automatically have motorcycle provisional entitlement, and those that do sometimes "loose" it when you pass the car test. read your paper counterpart carefully.

I know some FULL bike licence holders that have recently passed a car test, only to find their full A licence records have been overwritten by the car pass.

the issue was riding a 50cc bike on a car licence without taking a CBT previous post was :-

, It's not a legal requirement to complete a CBT to ride a moped if you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001. Despite this, the DSA recommend that you do so.

I added the problem of tuned peds so A intitlement is not an issue

Regards Jim

the issue was riding a 50cc bike on a car licence without taking a CBT previous post was :-

, It's not a legal requirement to complete a CBT to ride a moped if you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001. Despite this, the DSA recommend that you do so.

I added the problem of tuned peds so A intitlement is not an issue

Regards Jim

ah well i've done my cbt

a friend of mine is considering a 'moped' for cheaper travel to and from work and was wondering wether he'd need to take the cbt

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online