YBR125 2008 - Reserve tank?

Darko8472
This post is 5483 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I bought my YBR125 last month and have been getting on great with it :) And while I haven't had occasion to find out yet, I'd still like to know where the heck the fuel tap is... there's no mention of it in the manual, but every other bike I've been on has one (in training etc).

Any ideas??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Hello,

I bought my YBR125 last month and have been getting on great with it :) And while I haven't had occasion to find out yet, I'd still like to know where the heck the fuel tap is... there's no mention of it in the manual, but every other bike I've been on has one (in training etc).

Any ideas??

On my 2005 model (not sure if its changed) it was by your left leg. have a look down on the left hand side. you might be able to see it

On my 2005 model (not sure if its changed) it was by your left leg. have a look down on the left hand side. you might be able to see it

Yeah, that's where it was on the CG125 and the Suzi 500 I rode for my direct access. It's just not there on the 2008 YBR :(

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Yep, that's not there on the 2008 model. Nor is it mentioned in the handbook.

It's a fuel injected model, no carburettor.

It want have a reserve swith

all my carb bikes ahve had them but my injested ones didnt

If I recall aright (and being a pretentious, pedantic sod, I usually am right :P ) - I hear the YBR125 models from 2007 onwards have an automatic choke and no fuel tap... Why, I don't know!!

This does mean you'll have to learn the range of the bike, so (unless you have a Low Fuel light, which I'd not trust too much anyway) carry a small litre bottle of fuel - Get a metal one from a camping shop designed to carry petrol, for a few quid. Go out on your travels and be prepared for the sudden stuttering of the engine. Then pull over, add in fuel, NOTE THE MILEAGE and ride to the nearest fuel station.

Round down the mileage to the nearest 10 and you have your approximate range.

Now you know when to fill up.

Honestly, what would they leave a fuel tap off the bike for????!!!!!

If I recall aright (and being a pretentious, pedantic sod, I usually am right :P ) - I hear the YBR125 models from 2007 onwards have an automatic choke and no fuel tap... Why, I don't know!!

This does mean you'll have to learn the range of the bike, so (unless you have a Low Fuel light, which I'd not trust too much anyway) carry a small litre bottle of fuel - Get a metal one from a camping shop designed to carry petrol, for a few quid. Go out on your travels and be prepared for the sudden stuttering of the engine. Then pull over, add in fuel, NOTE THE MILEAGE and ride to the nearest fuel station.

Round down the mileage to the nearest 10 and you have your approximate range.

Now you know when to fill up.

Ta for that Ttaskmaster... guess I'll just keep topping her up at half range then! Mostly use her to get to work and back so this won't be a problem.

Honestly, what would they leave a fuel tap off the bike for????!!!!!

I have no idea! I'm makin' sure the next one I get (bigger!) has one for sure. I like the idea of a safety margin.

It may well have a low fuel light.

Just make sure you know the range as well, rather than relying solely on that...

I don't understand your fears... this bike gives more than 400KM from a full tank and the fuel meter just seems to be onest (at least at mine does). I have driven my bike a lot of times for more than 450KM before i had to top the tank up.

You mustn't worry when you have 12Lt of fuel to deal with and a very low consumption. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand your fears... this bike gives more than 400KM from a full tank and the fuel meter just seems to be onest (at least at mine does). I have driven my bike a lot of times for more than 450KM before i had to top the tank up.

You mustn't worry when you have 12Lt of fuel to deal with and a very low consumption. ;)

Please can someone help me here, I keep reading that the bike can do over 400kms on a full tank. I bought mine a week ago, used with 8500kms on it, seems in very good condition however Im only getting about 240kms to a tank, is that very low??

There is no way I get anywhere near the quoted figures and want to know if there is something wrong with the bike and can it be fixed?

Hi by the way, my first post, newby to this I had a Jinlun 125-11 before this but had so many problems with it the Yahama seems like a Ferrari to drive compared to it(exaggeration I know but you should have driven the Jinlun!)

Please let me know asap!

p.s. also having some ignition problems in the last few days, its very hit and miss when turning it over as to whether its going start or not and have had to use the kick start a few times.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Been riding my brand new YBR125 since October last year.

I've just done my theory test and have my practical booked for mid April...

I've been wrestling with the range question for a while and have decided to seek assistance/input from more experienced bikers...

The figures quoted in the handbook are 13 Litre capacity and 3 Litre reserve... (it is indeed a little odd to mention reserve as it doesn't have a tap) What I would like to know is this... Does it mean 13 Litres 'and' 3 Litres reserve giving a total of 16 Litres, or is it a 13 Litres 'including' a 3 Litre reserve?

This does make quite a difference on a bike that can do 100+mpg.

13 Litres is 2.86 gallon, by simple math that's a range of nearly 300 miles.

With the 3 Litre reserve in addition that's 3.52 gallon, over 350 miles range!?

So which is it?

I've riden to approx 250 miles, and the needle does get very low... (Which doesn't mean anything really I once had a car that read about half a tank off until it was dry!!! after that it was spot on!!!)

I also have not yet tried running it dry, the manual says not to do this!!! Like I said I'm new to bikes so I don't know if it's as big a deal as is implied...

The "brand new YBR125" has fuel injection, diferent turn signals, diferent wheels, and other small changes from the old one with the carburator that I have the last two years.

I don't understand how on earht the same tank (thera are no changes between the two models) in my case is 12lts (including the 2-3lt reserve) and in the case of the new one 13lts...

Anyway the reserve is included in the 13lts total capacity of the tank. 3lts are 2 bottles of soda.

Do you imagine these two bottles comparing with the volume of your tank?

Is there such an obvious diference in volume between the two models?

Pretty much what I thought...

a range difference of 286 to 351 mile is quite significant and would certainly expect it to read higher on the gauge...

In which case the gauge is pretty accurate, I've seen no sign of a 'low fuel' light, and there is no mention of one in the manual, though others in the range do carry one...

I know what you're saying about the tank though, how can there be a difference in capacity when all that's different is the way that fuel get's into the cylinder?! :blink:

or, perhaps there's also a difference in the way fuel is drawn from the tank???