2002 R6 Wont Start - Please Help!

baynham
This post is 5703 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i have a 2002 R6, rode it home about 40 miles with a few mates, started fine and rode well

now, i try to set off and it takes a bit longer than it should to start, however gets going and is fine

when i go to leave again after stopping it wont start at all, can manage to get a start with loads of throttle but needs to be kept fully open to hold a very weak idle, as soon as you wind off the throttle it dies, if you hold the throttle open fully for a little while the revs will eventually pick up and it will rev ok again.

a freind advised me that it could have been the carbs require replacing - which i tried but this didn't help!

also the oil light has come on and despite plently of oil refuses to go off, and there are no oil leaks

if anyone can help i would really appreiciate it! :huh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked the valve clearances? R6's are high revving little buggers and this can be quite hard on valves. Symptoms sound the same as my FZR400 when the valves went out. Not a cheap job to replace :cry2:

No idea about the oil light though. The oil lights on older Yam's were oil level, not oil pressure activated but don't know about R6s.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online