A sh** day for repairs

CharlyG
This post is 5686 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So today, i stripped and rebuilt my XS250 carbs.

Re attached them to my bike reconnected all the leads and fired the bike up

Revs zoomed way up to 5000rpm! :'(

then wouldnt start again and battery has gone flat.

After removing the sparkies to clean, before replacing, discovered the left side in the top end is now cross threaded.

Im feeling useless

and i rung up Yamaha, on,y to hear theyve discontinued a majority of the parts.

had a quote for repairs to my top end, being around 120.00 ish, (if im lucky)

not having much luck with this bike at the moment :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So today, i stripped and rebuilt my XS250 carbs.

Re attached them to my bike reconnected all the leads and fired the bike up

Revs zoomed way up to 5000rpm! :'(

then wouldnt start again and battery has gone flat.

After removing the sparkies to clean, before replacing, discovered the left side in the top end is now cross threaded.

Im feeling useless

and i rung up Yamaha, on,y to hear theyve discontinued a majority of the parts.

had a quote for repairs to my top end, being around 120.00 ish, (if im lucky)

not having much luck with this bike at the moment :(

dont panic!!!!

if i have this corect the plug hole thread is dameged? if this is the case yu should be able to get it helicoiled, phone eound your local automotive engineers (should be about £50 tops)!

Guest Exupnutta

:o?

Helicoiled?

Ill call around everywhere tomorow :D

Dont they need to take the top end off the bike for this? or can the engine stay put?

To explain...

A helicoil looks a bit like a spring. The correct size helicoil will have the thread for your plug on the inside and a bigger thread on the outside. This means a new, bigger thread must be cut into the head (spark plug hole). In doing so swarf (tiny bits of metal) will drop into the engine. I would take the head off to do this as the metal swarf can damage the engine.:( Once the thread is cut the helicoil is inserted using a special tool. I always make sure to use a bit of "thread loc" to stop the helicoil from winding out when you change the plugs next time... have had this happen before on helicoil kits that were badly fitted. My advice is find a GOOD garage to do this as a bad job will only make matters worse.

Hope this helps.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online