RuckSack / BackPack / Tankbag??

bexman
This post is 5711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My trusty old fitness first rucksack (must be 3 years old, so not bad for a freebie) failed me this morning and the one strap is completely buggered. It hasnt been bad in all fairness, keeps stuff dry too which has been important.

So I need a new method of carrying important* stuff into the office on my daily commute. So do I buy another rucksack, but this time a 'proper' bike rucksack? Or Do I try and get something fixed to the bike, the problem might be that its an XT125R and I dont know what I can fit to the bike. Will a tank bag fit it as its a plastic tank isnt it? Or do I go for one of these universal top boxes for the back?

All help appreciated from you experienced bikers!

*Important stuff refers to lunch box!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I managed to get an Oxford tailbag from a boot fair for £5 - I hate anything on my back when riding, and this is secure and came with the waterproof cover. I'll admit that I don't secure the velcro strap under the seat, but it's secure enough with the bungee straps. I carry a laptop, shoes and my lunch in it, and it's easy to remove - comes with a shoulder strap as well, or zipped up in one pcoket are rucksack straps to carry like that when off the bike.

I'd go for a tailbag rather than a rucksack - but that's personal preference.

I managed to get an Oxford tailbag from a boot fair for £5 - I hate anything on my back when riding, and this is secure and came with the waterproof cover. I'll admit that I don't secure the velcro strap under the seat, but it's secure enough with the bungee straps. I carry a laptop, shoes and my lunch in it, and it's easy to remove - comes with a shoulder strap as well, or zipped up in one pcoket are rucksack straps to carry like that when off the bike.

I'd go for a tailbag rather than a rucksack - but that's personal preference.

Many thanks for that advice, are they universally fitting?

My trusty old fitness first rucksack (must be 3 years old, so not bad for a freebie) failed me this morning and the one strap is completely buggered. It hasnt been bad in all fairness, keeps stuff dry too which has been important.

So I need a new method of carrying important* stuff into the office on my daily commute. So do I buy another rucksack, but this time a 'proper' bike rucksack? Or Do I try and get something fixed to the bike, the problem might be that its an XT125R and I dont know what I can fit to the bike. Will a tank bag fit it as its a plastic tank isnt it? Or do I go for one of these universal top boxes for the back?

All help appreciated from you experienced bikers!

*Important stuff refers to lunch box!

Get it fixed, a tent maker or shoe repairer might do it or fix it yourself!

I use a small canoe bag. Waterproof and are small enough to strap to your bike - your stuff aint gonna get wet should you get caught in the rain too!

As many have implied, it's personal preference. However, I tend ro shy away from using a rucksack if I'm carrying anything hard like a camera or lunchbox. This is purely my paranoia coming out of course but I had a friend who broke his back after coming off his bike and landing on his rucksack. Many months of traction later, he made a full recovery but it taught me a salutary lesson.

I've used tank bags and tail packs. Personally, I prefer using the tail pack, as I found the tank bag restricted my view and movement. However, so long as I wasn't carrying sarnies in a box, a rucksack would suffice.

There you go; absolutely no help at all :icon_confused: .

I use a rucksac myself, proper hikers sort with extra straps across the chest and round the waist, fits real snug. Got a semisolid back in it and its light and waterproof.

I admit i only carry squishy stuff in it but i'd sooner that than worry about something falling off or worse krackering the paintwork.

Also the bike i use depends on how i feel when i open the garage and i dont think stuff will easy swap between the two.

sounds like you got on ok with the last rucksack, so why not just get another one? Unless you got a proper little rack on your bike, fixing stuff to the pillion can be restrictive when riding and you have the pain of securing and unstrapping etc each time you park up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online