HELP JUST ABOUT TO SIT MY "BIG BIKE TEST".

kevin10529
This post is 5708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, just gonna sit my test in a few weeks and was hopeing for some advice for the big day!!??

Also would like some advice on what my first big bike should be??

Am 6'3 and think i a tourer style bike would be better cause i tend to get a sore back on smaller low down style race bikes.

All advice would be welcome.

Kev.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Show to the examiner that you are very observant - do all the lifesavers, but dont over do it, remember to twist your head when you look in the mirrors (at changes in speed limit etc) so the examiner knows you are doing this and if you are taken to a 60 or 70mph limit road accelerate briskly upto the limit if it is safe to do so, to demonstrate that you are confident.

+good luck

however u cant be marked down for doing to many lifesavers, so if u think u missed one do another if its safe.

When they ask you to pull up at a safe place, if its near a car give yourself room to move out, looking out past the car when taking of.

hope that made some sense, you will be fine.

Fazer 600 is a good bike for a new rider, very comfortable and has a great level of power.

I second that.. good luck fella :)

"lifesavers", I could not agree more.

As for the bike to get once you pass, I would say don't over do it. There is nothing that states you have to go crazy and get a monster, pick something you can handle and it not going to give you those back issues.

If you are looking to spend thousands on the bike then hiring a few bikes for the day will not break the bank and give you a great indication of what you are looking for.

once again.. good luck

try and double check that your indicators are switched off after a turn. cancel them then do again just in case, as i failed for it .

I passed a junction with indicator on still very dangerous (yes i know im a Muppet but it is easy to miss)

also don't pull to close behind a cars at the lights if you stop leave your self room

on your U turn do a good shoulder check if you move more than two car lengths do another b4 you turn

most of all relax and enjoy the ride, if you are all stiff and tensed then it will show on your riding

Good luck mate im sure you will do well

hope this helps:)

let us know how you get on

Stevo

Guest Exupnutta

Hi, just gonna sit my test in a few weeks and was hopeing for some advice for the big day!!??

Also would like some advice on what my first big bike should be??

Am 6'3 and think i a tourer style bike would be better cause i tend to get a sore back on smaller low down style race bikes.

All advice would be welcome.

Kev.

Hi Kev,

I'm 6'3" too and also have a bad back, so I know exactly what you mean. The most comfortable "production bike" I ever sat on was an 04 ZX-12, but this may be a little OTT as your first bike :unsure:

Perhaps a Fazer thou? Pan European is also a good fit, but that is one heavy mofo :lol:

Honda Blackbird? :unsure:

I would say, go out and sit on a few bikes. I know from experience that having a bike that doesn't fit properly can be a pain and can stop you progressing your riding. A rear suspension jack up kit helps us big guys a lot, so might be worth asking about when you find a bike you like, but you might like the seat to be a little higher up :D

Good Luck with the test.

Olli

Hi kev, much of what I'd recommend has already been said- except try to lose the examiner! Thats what I got told by my instructor, if they can't see you for the next five minutes it's their loss and they can't see any mistakes you're making (if any!)

About your bad back, I had similar problem- just a suggestion but I got told to grip the tank with your knees and take the weight off of your hands. Don't know if you ride like this anyway or if it will work with your height- but it might.

All the best with your test even if it is the new style! It wont b that much harder. :P

Cheers for all the advice so far. Whats the hardest part of the test woud you all say? Whats the part most fail on?

Nerves and silly mistakes I would say. Anything else would differ for each rider.

Nerves and silly mistakes I would say. Anything else would differ for each rider.

Anymore suggestions on what bike to get if i pass? like the look of the GSX R600 but looks like it would give me serious back problems and one of my mates said is would have me points within a week!!!!

Guest Exupnutta

Anymore suggestions on what bike to get if i pass? like the look of the GSX R600 but looks like it would give me serious back problems and one of my mates said is would have me points within a week!!!!

Hi Kev,

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that you won't get points in the first year or 2... They'll simply take your licence back, as you will be on probation for that time.

GSXR600, R6, ZX6 and so on will cripple you Kev, they're just too small. Also, stay well away from racing rear sets... Our legs are too long for those, especially if you have bad knees like I do. You will find the windchill cools your knees which can cause them to lock :(

Try and get a bike with high bars... I found them way more comfortable. Here's me with high bars. As you can see I'm quite comfortable there ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online