New member, and first bike

2-stroker
This post is 4002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello I just bought a 1972 Yamaha CS5, it is a fun little bike, but I know next to nothing about it. I would like to know if anybody knows anything about the bike, or if you don't, where would be a good place to start? Google, so far, has failed because Yamaha also made a CS5 synthesizer, and that makes searching a little slow. When I figure out how to post images I will. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello I just bought a 1972 Yamaha CS5, it is a fun little bike, but I know next to nothing about it. I would like to know if anybody knows anything about the bike, or if you don't, where would be a good place to start? Google, so far, has failed because Yamaha also made a CS5 synthesizer, and that makes searching a little slow. When I figure out how to post images I will. Thanks!

Hello 2 stroker

Google, I put "yamaha cs5" -synth* into my google search, this ignores all sites with a word beginning with synth, One of the first sites I found was This There loads of pictures there and I didnt even look at the other sites. So copy and paste "yamaha cs5" -synth* into your google and have a look

As for pictures

• Open a photobucket account
  • Upload your pics there
  • with each pic you will see four fields
  • Copy the IMG field
  • Paste into the forum

Thanks oldgitonabike, but I have tried that and there are slim pickings on finding parts. Ebay has a pretty wide selection, and as far as I can tell, most mechanical parts are universal with many other bikes of the time. I saw that bike before, and he did an AMAZING job, as for the pics, I hope this works.

Cropped4.jpg

Cropped3.jpg

Cropped2.jpg

Cropped.jpg

Thanks oldgitonabike, but I have tried that and there are slim pickings on finding parts. Ebay has a pretty wide selection, and as far as I can tell, most mechanical parts are universal with many other bikes of the time. I saw that bike before, and he did an AMAZING job, as for the pics, I hope this works.

Cropped4.jpg

Cropped3.jpg

Cropped2.jpg

Cropped.jpg

Hi There in the UK the bike was called the RD200A and for my sins I worked on them. Most Engine parts and cycle parts interchanged until the DX was introduced ('76) and it was revamped but in saying that some parts continued on. I can remember a lot of the settings to service the motor and can give you a list of common faults. Hope this helps

Regards Jim

Hi There in the UK the bike was called the RD200A and for my sins I worked on them. Most Engine parts and cycle parts interchanged until the DX was introduced ('76) and it was revamped but in saying that some parts continued on. I can remember a lot of the settings to service the motor and can give you a list of common faults. Hope this helps

Regards Jim

Thank you very much! I wouldn't mind knowing what some of the basic problems there tend to be with this bike. As of right now, the bike starts and runs excellent, except that the right cylinder smokes a bit more than the left. Thanks again!

Thank you very much! I wouldn't mind knowing what some of the basic problems there tend to be with this bike. As of right now, the bike starts and runs excellent, except that the right cylinder smokes a bit more than the left. Thanks again!

Ok Common faults are :

Dynostart brushes wearing (charge light stays on - easy fix, very rare for the voltage reg to go down but can be adjusted if it has.)

Advance/retard unit sticking (poor low end performance - replace or dowse with lube)

Vibration thro footrests (footrest bolt broken and/or engine loose)

Vibration when applying front brake (bad set up of the twin leading shoe and/or build up of dust inthe hub)

Poor Top end performance (90% ignition timing [CRITICAL] should be set 1.8mm btdc fully advanced)

There are more 'normal faults' If you have a problem fire away I'll do my utmost to help.

Regards Jim

Thanks a lot JimR! I'll lube the Advance/Retard unit and see if that gets rid of the poor low end power. Here I was just assuming the bike was like that because it was a two stroke. I hope you don't mind, but I'll probably end up messaging you sometime later about other random things, if I can't fix them myself. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot JimR! I'll lube the Advance/Retard unit and see if that gets rid of the poor low end power. Here I was just assuming the bike was like that because it was a two stroke. I hope you don't mind, but I'll probably end up messaging you sometime later about other random things, if I can't fix them myself. Thanks again!

Hi 2 Stroker

When you take the Gen cover off the unit is connected to the end of the shaft, it's most likely to be covered in brush dust and the to weights will be stuck in the fully advanced position (those tiny springs don't take to long till they crud up). While the covers off check the brushes for wear (there is a red line scribed on their edge) and set up the ign timming don't use the timming marks use a DTI and meter. Don't forget to gap the points to 12 thou at tdc on their respective cyls. left is to the front right is to the rear.

If the unit is well cruded up you may need to remove it, you may find this tool useful I have one myself and it does the trick.

Regards Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Currently the bike is having high RPM issues, it's not poor performance, the performance just isn't there. The power is available from idle and it grows quickly till about 4500 RPMs where the bike hits a wall, I can squeeze out another 500 or so RPMs but there is no power to be had. I'm new to bikes, and to working on motors in general, my dad and I adjusted the timing (we used only hand tools, we don't have a timing gun or a dwell meter), cleaned the points and set them, gapped the plugs, and a few other things but nothing has helped the top end. My current guesses are: 1) the timing is still way off, or 2) I really need to adjust the carburetor. I would REALLY like to get the bike back up and running good again, in the whole RPM range, not just the first half of it. Thanks for any help whatsoever!

Update:

Currently the bike is having high RPM issues, it's not poor performance, the performance just isn't there. The power is available from idle and it grows quickly till about 4500 RPMs where the bike hits a wall, I can squeeze out another 500 or so RPMs but there is no power to be had. I'm new to bikes, and to working on motors in general, my dad and I adjusted the timing (we used only hand tools, we don't have a timing gun or a dwell meter), cleaned the points and set them, gapped the plugs, and a few other things but nothing has helped the top end. My current guesses are: 1) the timing is still way off, or 2) I really need to adjust the carburetor. I would REALLY like to get the bike back up and running good again, in the whole RPM range, not just the first half of it. Thanks for any help whatsoever!

The only way to set the ignition timing correctly is with a dial guage & ohm meter and the following order should be used:-

L/h Cylinder first

set the engine to TDC (zero the dti there) clean and gap the points to 12 thou wedge the advance/retard unit open (a cycle spoke bent into a u shape will do this, fits into the 2 holes in the unit) wind the engine clockwise 1.8mm, at this point the contacts should just break(open). Then do the r/h cylinder the same. don't forget to remove your atu wedge b4 you gap the points on the r/h cylinder. Don't use the timing marks on the advance/retard and that silly screw on datum mark, they were there to use a strobe to check if the advance/retard worked & not to set the timing. I've seen many a holed piston with timing set to those marks

Regards Jim

• 4 years later...

nice bike! i just got one myself. lots of useful information here. can anyone help me out with the procedure for adjusting the points on one of these bikes? also, you don't seem to have an oil tank on your bike. how are you mixing the oil and gas? ratio?

thanks

Aye hawitch" thats a pretty good desciption on JimR"s post above,,, if its the gap your wondering, we used an old Cigarette packet for gap.. in the 1970"s as cunna afford feeler gauge,, :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1