XS650 exhaust wrapping help!!

sixtring_uk
This post is 5707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I'm new! :rolleyes:

I have an XS650 with a Halco 840cc big bore kit and oil cooler and she's fitted with 1 3/4" stainless pipes. Because of the location of the oil cooler takeoff I need to wrap the exhausts...

But I've heard that wrapping the headers can increasae the temperature of the exhaust in the ports, and with the bore of the pipes being oversize as well, I'm concerned about burning out my exhaust valves.

Any advise or info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Liz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm not saying this authorative or anything like it in fact but when I wrapped the exhausts on my kit car (to stop the fibre glass body burning) I was warned to stop "well short of the headers" to prevent engine damage.

Like I say, I'm new to bikes so this advice may not apply in this case but it always to be a bit cautious when it comes to engine temps doesn't it?

I'm not saying this authorative or anything like it in fact but when I wrapped the exhausts on my kit car (to stop the fibre glass body burning) I was warned to stop "well short of the headers" to prevent engine damage.

Like I say, I'm new to bikes so this advice may not apply in this case but it always to be a bit cautious when it comes to engine temps doesn't it?

My only comment would be that it's now very common for exhaust headers to be treated to keep the heat inside the headers. The major header manufacturers would not be doing this if there was ANY danger of damage to the engine from doing it. I would think it is more dangerous to let the heat out than keep it in, since parts around the pipes may get damaged while the exhaust is moving away from the engine.

Many bikes have dual wall pipes which in part keep the exhaust heat inside the pipe and keep the outside cooler (it also helps to reduce blueing on chrome and stainless pipes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online