New YBR won't go into 1st gear most of the time?

Bettyboo
This post is 4598 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Have just bought a new YBR and it is back at the dealers for the second time in two weeks.

Most of the time it won't go into 1st gear from neutral. On one occassion it took about 3 minutes at a busy junction to get it in to 1st. Twice it has pulled away whilst in neutral (neutral light on). The dealer has said that it only does not go into first, a few times and that most YBRs are like that and there's nothing wrong with it. He did say after the first time he had it back that he had made a few adjustments and it was fine. I took it back and it was fine for the first 5 miles then it went back to doing the same thing. He said he has spoken to Yamaha technical dept. and they say there is nothing wrong with the bike! I have asked for a replacement bike or a refund. The dealer has offered to keep the bike for a week or 2 to 'bed it in' and then give it back, or he said I can take it back and do the same.

£2000 for a brand new bike that I don't think should be on the roads??? Am I being a big girl, or is it really true that 'all new YBRs are like that'? :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

this might be silly, but are you a new rider?

YBR's sometimes do that

but all you do is let your clutch out abit to feel it and then it should go down, when in nuteral pull in the clutch lever and try and put it in, if it doesnt work do it again, mines does that sometimes all it is, is let the clutch out abit till u feel it and it should go in. If it is a dodgy gears surely they would just replace them

hi

i too have a new ybr (in black!). my has done a similar thing on one occassion, all i did was release the clutch and pull it in again and it went into gear. this is my first bike but i have had several cars with the same problem!!! :rolleyes:

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Yeh, that's not a silly question...I am a new rider, however, my husband has had bikes all his life and competes, and also found it impossible on many ocassions to get it into first. He said he has never had a bike do it. Doubling the clutch many many times didn't work. It would just decide randomly to go in. Also, pulling away in neutral is a bit worrying at junctions! The mechanic said he had made some adjustments and didn't think any more adjustments would help.

I welcome any more thoughts.

sounds like you need to get a bit lary with the dealers :angry::angry: , your hubby obviously knows what he's on about, I would ask for a replacement or money back. What a pain in the arse though

I don't know whether it is just because it's new or the synchromesh is baulking the gearchange. It must be very frustrating not knowing when it is going to happen. I can only suggest the following:-

Speak to Yamaha to find out the exact setup for the clutch. Then adjust the clutch to what they have said. Run in the bike as per makers instructions. Make sure that you do lots of gear changes to loosen the box. If it is still baulking on first gear, return the bike and get a refund as there is something wrong with it and the seller is responcible.

Make sure that you tell the seller what is going on and put the whole episode in writing.

I don't know whether it is just because it's new or the synchromesh is baulking the gearchange. It must be very frustrating not knowing when it is going to happen. I can only suggest the following:-

Speak to Yamaha to find out the exact setup for the clutch. Then adjust the clutch to what they have said. Run in the bike as per makers instructions. Make sure that you do lots of gear changes to loosen the box. If it is still baulking on first gear, return the bike and get a refund as there is something wrong with it and the seller is responcible.

Make sure that you tell the seller what is going on and put the whole episode in writing.

Many thanks for that. Yes, it is frustrating as it seems to do it most of the time. At the moment the bike is at the dealers so we can't have a look at the clutch ourselves atm. I have posted a letter to him which he will get on Tuesday, saying that I would like the bike either properly sorted, an exchange or my money back. So I'll wait and see.

It's also frustrating when the dealer infers that as I'm new to it and when I get more experience...etc..., yet when my husbands on it, it does exactly the same. Anyway, hopefully it will get sorted. The dealer did seem like a really nice bloke, but I am just a bit miffed as it was a new bike that I hav'nt been able to ride for nearly a month now. I'll keep you posted?

My daughters YBR sometimes refuses to go into 2nd specially when trying to do it quickly. Never had problems with the !st. It's 06 reg with 1200 miles....getting better as more miles are done.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i am a new rider to but have had a similar problem myself, when coming to an abrupt stop if i go from say 4th to 1st gear it sticks in neutral and i have to play around with the clutch for a second or two, i have found that releasing the clutch at 2nd gear then dropping to first sorted out my neutral problem.

also with the setting off i have a problem going from 1st to 2nd (fast) its not that i am not kicking the gearleaver up hard enough its just not going into 2nd untill i re release the clutch only happens once every few days

i am getting my first service on wednesday as i have done over 600 miles (704) so i will have a word with my dealer

hope this non technical crap helps lol

i am getting my first service on wednesday as i have done over 600 miles (704) so i will have a word with my dealer

Hi Phill

Thanks for your post reply.

I would be very interested in what your dealer says. Do let me know.

No, no, no.... The dealer is always right and they have you by the balls, so shut up, go back to bed and do what they tell you.

Or, if you're like me and deal in extremes..... Go down there, tell them what lying scum they are and demand that either they fix it or you'll get Trading Standards involved.

There are several acts they have violated here and TS will get correct info direct from Yamaha.

Many bikes have this 'fault'. I personally believe it's the rider getting used to the bike. I still sometimes mis-gear on my bike. It happens.

But not to the extent you're experiencing.

It is wrong - They have a duty to get it fixed.

If they don't want to, there are powerful people you can call and I'm sure another Yamaha dealer will happily accept your custom!!

I believe the warranty is with Yamaha, not a specific dealer.

Again, Trading Standards can advise you best on this and their services are free.

thanks for the info but its the first time i have taken it in the the dealer today for the service tomoz, so if i still have a problem after then i will take it up the TS. as its my first bike and i know the guys there well loads of family custom i got a good deal and want to give them time to fix what is their mistake before i go "mad" dont pay a penny for this so all i am gona lose is a day or two in time

cheers

Phill

**** update ****

had the service still slipping on the gear but changes lot better gona take it back in a few days maybe

• 1 year later...

My YBR also refuses to go into 1st or 2nd from neutral occassionally, this is mostly because of coming to a halt quickly and kicking down through multiple gears without declutching whilst braking.

I usually just let the clutch out a bit once stopped and you hear the gears clunk into place. Then simply pull the clutch in again and it should select 1st or 2nd without a problem.

your clutch cable might need adjusted

and or you might need some fresh oil..

• 1 year later...

I have a 2009 YBR 125 Custom and cannot get first gear when moving down the gears, it stops either in second or neutral.

If I pull clutch in and then let the clutch out and pull it back in it will then go into first, it has always done this even after full services, the bike has now done 5100 miles so is not tight from being new.

My problem is in the sunny weather you cannot see the green neutral light so don't know if the gear has changed or not,as the lighting panel is flat you cannot see the warning lights, in bright conditions, and you tap down on the gear shift pedal and it won't go any lower it is at what you think is the bottom so should be first gear.

This is a major problem on very busy intersections as you either stall as you are still in second or you revv away like a fool as it is in neutral.

I have read in may places that this is a common fault for the YBR 125 and another Yamaha Model bike and there is no cure, there is also a video on youtube where the guy tells you this in the video on his way back from passing his Uk bike test.

Does anyone know the answer. As I hav been told dealers try to fob you off with it being the clutch, as this is not covered by warranty like tyres and battery etc as this is a wear and tear part.

Many thanks for that. Yes, it is frustrating as it seems to do it most of the time. At the moment the bike is at the dealers so we can't have a look at the clutch ourselves atm. I have posted a letter to him which he will get on Tuesday, saying that I would like the bike either properly sorted, an exchange or my money back. So I'll wait and see.

It's also frustrating when the dealer infers that as I'm new to it and when I get more experience...etc..., yet when my husbands on it, it does exactly the same. Anyway, hopefully it will get sorted. The dealer did seem like a really nice bloke, but I am just a bit miffed as it was a new bike that I hav'nt been able to ride for nearly a month now. I'll keep you posted?

I'd advise against making any adjustments or mods yourselves, you may invalidate the warranty. The onus lies with the dealer and Yamaha to provide you with a machine fit for purpose

Engaging 1st is not confined to just your bike type (should the bike be faultless). The knack is to change down thorugh the gears using engine braking, and then snick it into first before the bike stops ie all components rotating still. Takes anticipation and forward planning, skills which you need in order to progress smoothly when riding.

Dont let it put you off :)

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I've done about 200 miles on a new ybr and the last two days I've had real trouble getting it into first gear when I'm at the lights. It has stalled on me a few times now and I've been debating whether to just idle in first rather than run the risk of stalling again.

I've also found it will slip into neutral rather than shift up or suddenly surge forward as I try to move off.