XVS 650 Exhaust Advice Needed

sdy30
This post is 5640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I'm riding a XVS650 (love it!) with the standard pipes. I am thinking of changing the pipes to get a better sound. I don't want anything too loud as I'm not into p***ing off the neighbors, but I do want "that" sound. Can anyone advise on which pipes to get (highway hawk? Jardine?, etc..???).

I few people have said that replacement pipes can get 'blueing', which I don't want.

I also want to be able to fit them easily with no complicated re-jetting.

Help!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Vance and Hines are a good start - but you will need the front header pipe off your stock exhaust as theses are not a full system

I have Caligula Wave on mine - and theres no discolouration whatsiever on them - take a look at my profile - theres a piccy on there.

• 3 weeks later...

T' Other Half has Highway Hawk straight-throughs on hers.

That is definitely The Sound - Not deafening, but you hear her bike a good 20-seconds before she rounds the corner.

Noise resembles a Spitfire engine....

I think a lot of them will go blue.

Not sure why or how to stop it.

As for re-jetting, It's not essential, especially with some pipes. But EVERYONE I know who has custom pipes recommends it (though they themselves don't always bother...).

By comparison, I still have factory standard pipes on my 650 Drag.

I can outrun every other 650 in town because either they haven't re-jetted or they are too busy listening to their pipes to know when to shift gear.

Thanks for the reply.

I had decided I was going to get Jardine Slash-Cut Rumblers, but, after many phone calls to a particular UK cruiser accessories supplier, I found out Jardine weren't making them for an 04 Draggy 650 any more. They should have said 3 weeks ago and stopped messing me about! So, probably going to go with either Highway Hawk or Vance and Hines - will keep shopping!

I'll post an up-date once the new pipes are fitted.

T' Other Half has Highway Hawk straight-throughs on hers.

That is definitely The Sound - Not deafening, but you hear her bike a good 20-seconds before she rounds the corner.

Noise resembles a Spitfire engine....

I think a lot of them will go blue.

Not sure why or how to stop it.

As for re-jetting, It's not essential, especially with some pipes. But EVERYONE I know who has custom pipes recommends it (though they themselves don't always bother...).

By comparison, I still have factory standard pipes on my 650 Drag.

I can outrun every other 650 in town because either they haven't re-jetted or they are too busy listening to their pipes to know when to shift gear.

We were discussing blued pipes at the club last night, actually...

The general opinion seems to be that this is caused by improper re-jetting.

I'm guessing these fellas know their stuff, being mostly old hands in the Virago and Star enthusiasts scene....

About 12 of them have custom pipes and the only one with blueing is the girl who didn't bother rejetting. ;)

What'choo got on yers then, Miss Goff?

AFAIK (which ain't far from last night), blueing is caused by one of two things:

1/. Heating of the metal then quenching in hot oil, which is doubtful as only swordsmiths tend to use this.

2/. Overheating of the engine, causing the exhaust gasses to burn the pipes.

Just my 2 shilling's worth..... I'm as curious as everyone else!!

I have some very nice Caligula Wave pipes on mine.

Yeah i hear ya go "you got whaaaaaaat?"

I got these from Italy for the princely sum of 250 Euros. Ok so they aint top of the range but fook me they sound the dogs danglies and they look the biz too. You can see 'em on Elvira if you look at me profile. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have some very nice Caligula Wave pipes on mine.

Yeah i hear ya go "you got whaaaaaaat?"

I got these from Italy for the princely sum of 250 Euros. Ok so they aint top of the range but fook me they sound the dogs danglies and they look the biz too. You can see 'em on Elvira if you look at me profile. ;-)

hi, goff just wondered if they sound ok with decibel killer fitted- does it affect performance not being re jetted-thanks in anticipation-- seen & heard Elvira on utube

hi, goff just wondered if they sound ok with decibel killer fitted- does it affect performance not being re jetted-thanks in anticipation-- seen & heard Elvira on utube

They sound like stock pipes with the baffles in - like a wet fart in a pair of damp undies.

I dont have baffles in and i never will. My pipes dont have "not for road use" on them therefore they are legal.

OK i might one day get an advisory but its unlikely.

I havent noticed any difference in performance whatsoever.

I personally believe rejetting a cruiser is a load of old money making bollox. My cruiser has a big, thumping V Twin engine, its not a performance bike its a cruiser - steady away and all that - and is not finely tuned like the sports bikes, so rejetting IMHO isnt necessary - but its up to you what you do. ;)

They sound like stock pipes with the baffles in - like a wet fart in a pair of damp undies.

I dont have baffles in and i never will. My pipes dont have "not for road use" on them therefore they are legal.

OK i might one day get an advisory but its unlikely.

I havent noticed any difference in performance whatsoever.

I personally believe rejetting a cruiser is a load of old money making bollox. My cruiser has a big, thumping V Twin engine, its not a performance bike its a cruiser - steady away and all that - and is not finely tuned like the sports bikes, so rejetting IMHO isnt necessary - but its up to you what you do. ;)

hi, on nightshift & got a spare minute (lol) GOFF jus wondered how long you've had pipes on ( not bluing)

think am gonna get some they look good ( keep buying bits & pieces, er indoors reckons i'm in my 2nd chilhood/ midlife crisis an all that

can't even ride it yet till passed test, riding 125 shadow at moment)

But hey lifes too short,, an it ain't a rehersal!!

:rolleyes:

hi, on nightshift & got a spare minute (lol) GOFF jus wondered how long you've had pipes on ( not bluing)

think am gonna get some they look good ( keep buying bits & pieces, er indoors reckons i'm in my 2nd chilhood/ midlife crisis an all that

can't even ride it yet till passed test, riding 125 shadow at moment)

But hey lifes too short,, an it ain't a rehersal!!

:rolleyes:

I've had the Caligulas on about 4 months or so now. And the buying bits and pieces gets no better - you just buy more as you get older :lol:

Now, where's the FUN in that? :unsure:

LOUD pipes save lives, ya know! :D

Sweet paintwork on Elvira BTW ;)

Now, where's the FUN in that? :unsure:

There isn't any - hence why i dont have any in! :lol:

LOUD pipes save lives, ya know! :D

Amen to that ;)

Sweet paintwork on Elvira BTW ;)

Why thankya kindly :D

• 2 weeks later...

are the vance and hines loud ? I've stripped the baffles out of mine (xvs650) and the bike is louder, but I would hoping that either the Jardine or Vance and Hines would be a bit louder again

are the vance and hines loud ? I've stripped the baffles out of mine (xvs650) and the bike is louder, but I would hoping that either the Jardine or Vance and Hines would be a bit louder again

my vance and hines camewith no baffles just straight through and sound loud enough to annoy the neighbours. you can buy baffles seperate that just screw in the end of the pipes but not worth it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online