Hole in my petrol tank and my pocket

Mikey*DTR
This post is 1631 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Listen to the old gits ;)

Either take it to someone for BRAZING or replace it! I did say this in my first post ;)

I have delt with leaking tanks before and ALWAYS brazed them. As Phil found out... it's too thin to weld and weld goes hard and brittle and no doubt it will crack again. THE ONLY WAY to repair a tank PROPERLY is to braze it, as the brazed joint remains flexible and will not crack.

The easiest thing would be to buy another tank... you can still sell yours and it would save a lot of hassle :D

Have to disagree - we have used JB weld on several tanks - and NEVER had a problem, was recommended to us by one of the well known bike builders. Yeah you can replace it - but if you cant afford to or dont want to then they are EASILY repaired if you take your time. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have to disagree - we have used JB weld on several tanks - and NEVER had a problem, was recommended to us by one of the well known bike builders. Yeah you can replace it - but if you cant afford to or dont want to then they are EASILY repaired if you take your time. :D

yerp this is the case Goff i did rush the first time and learnt from it iv done it properly this time according to petro patch but some people at work said it doesnt ever really work and recomended JB WELD as lots of you did so iv bought some and waiting for it to leak.

i no i could buy another tank but then il have to get it painted and buy stickers from yam and the final cost would far exceed a diy job

Hi Mickey...that's tough but hey no worries. This happened to my old m/c years ago...nip down to your local car parts shop and get 'petrol tank putty' it really does work but it will have to be clean and DRY first.

Good luck

hey yer iv done this by poking it in the whole with a pin then petrol patched over it fingers crossed if not iv got jb weld which every one ses will do it no probs cheers :D

yerp this is the case Goff i did rush the first time and learnt from it iv done it properly this time according to petro patch but some people at work said it doesnt ever really work and recomended JB WELD as lots of you did so iv bought some and waiting for it to leak.

i no i could buy another tank but then il have to get it painted and buy stickers from yam and the final cost would far exceed a diy job

I used JB Weld to fix a leaking oil pan on a 74 Vega that had impacted the road (did I mention the front springs were really sagging?) and it worked great for quite a while. It did start to leak again after doing the same thing (pan impacting tarmac) several times. But it was nearly as tough as the pan originally.

• 11 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online