dragstar custom or classic?

danster
This post is 4941 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

afternoon all, bit of a weird one...

are the only differences between the classic and custom dragstar the fenders / mudguards / whatever we call them?

and apparently there is a difference in the seating height, but is this just a saddle difference?

the reason i ask is that i'm looking at upgrading my 650 custom to an 1100, there are two available at the moment one is a classic but i think a better price, the other is a custom.

i plan to do a lot to the bike anyway but i wondered if i can buy the classic and put the front and rear fenders from the custom on there?

thanks in advance

dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No

The Classic front fender is wider than the custom.

The front tyre on a 650 custom is 100/90 and on a classic it's 130/90.

Im not sure about the rear one though. If you get the Classic and want the bobbed rear fender look that the custom has then just chop it off.

Personally i much prefer the Classic - i like that "fat" look :D

get the complete specs for both bikes here:

CLASSIC

CUSTOM

No

The Classic front fender is wider than the custom.

The front tyre on a 650 custom is 100/90 and on a classic it's 130/90.

Im not sure about the rear one though. If you get the Classic and want the bobbed rear fender look that the custom has then just chop it off.

Personally i much prefer the Classic - i like that "fat" look :D

get the complete specs for both bikes here:

CLASSIC

CUSTOM

excellent, thanks goff. i didnt realise the size difference so thats great - i agree with you on the fat look, it may also help with the problem i feel ive got at the moment with the front end grip.

so i can get the classic and look for an aftermarket front fender and cut the back one

thanks for the quick reply, very helpful as im going to try and look at both today or tomorrow. i just need to get wife authorisation now!

• 4 weeks later...

If the 1100s are the same as the 650s, the biggest point to note is that the Classics have something like 20-50kgs extra weight - The mudguards are all metal!!

This does slow the bike down compared to the Customs.

It doesn't make a difference generally since it's not a race bike, but betwixt the two the difference is notable!!

Also, metal means any stone chips in your paintwork could turn to rust spots and then to big holes, which are expensive to fix.

I have seen this happen and it looks ugly as sin!!!

Never had a problem with stone chips in my paintwork - have to be bloody big ones to cause any real damage.

Mine had a chunk taken out of it during import - and it never went rusty, but ive since had it custom painted. Again, its fine. :D

The example I saw was a 1/8" chip that was left untreated for a couple of days.

That went rusty and then the rust spread under the paintwork.

The owner then dropped her bike at low speed and the mudgard just crumbled like a clump of demerera sugar from a cafe sugar bowl.......

thanks for the info guys - i actually ended up buying a classic as it was just down the road and got a decent price for what they called a fixer upper but is fine as it is!

am just putting the shopping list together at the moment, i am glad i waited to get this 1100 before i spent anything on doing one up, the difference in grunt and braking is massive so i am really happy with the 1100 now.

have spent the last 3 weeks away from home so not had the chance to touch it really :-( but managed to get the windscreen, front toolbar roll, saddle bags and supports off so far.

next is tricky - for things like forward controls, exhaust, handle bars and especially a 5 degree raked front end i would love to see one already done to compare so that i can choose but i havent got a clue where i can get to. hopefully enough people will still venture down to the poole quay meet near me and i can get along to see if anyone with a modded one is already there

thanks, dan

thanks for the info guys - i actually ended up buying a classic as it was just down the road and got a decent price for what they called a fixer upper but is fine as it is!

am just putting the shopping list together at the moment, i am glad i waited to get this 1100 before i spent anything on doing one up, the difference in grunt and braking is massive so i am really happy with the 1100 now.

have spent the last 3 weeks away from home so not had the chance to touch it really :-( but managed to get the windscreen, front toolbar roll, saddle bags and supports off so far.

next is tricky - for things like forward controls, exhaust, handle bars and especially a 5 degree raked front end i would love to see one already done to compare so that i can choose but i havent got a clue where i can get to. hopefully enough people will still venture down to the poole quay meet near me and i can get along to see if anyone with a modded one is already there

thanks, dan

Does this help?

fs_ianmorgan2.jpg

fs_ianmorgan1.jpg

fs_ianmorgan3.jpg

Its a 650 but you get the idea - here's whats been done to it:

The neck has been raked 40 degrees and a set of 6 degree Triple T’s added. ‘Forking by Frank’ of provided the 4 inch over stock 41mm fork tubes. 60 Spoke chrome 21inch front wheel. Rear suspension lowered by repositioning the shock mount . Sits at about 4 inch ride height and seat is at about 20 inches. The custom steel rear fender is attached to custom made brackets giving it that low tyre hugging look. 18 inch 1.25 diameter Apehangers with internal electrical wiring.

Maltese Cross mirrors, turn signals and tail light on billet side mount for licence plate, all LED plus a Cobra Rocket Headlight. Hard Chrome 2.5 inch big straights exhaust system, Mapam forward controls and custom seat

Now THAT is one nice bike (cept for the apehangers - id never be able to reach them!) :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi

I'm looking to do the opposite, I have a custom 1100 and want to put the fender from 1100 Classic on the front

and want to know if this is possible :}

I doubt it - one has an 110/18 tyre and one has a 130/16 so the brackets will be different

• 11 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online