1964? Y20 Yamaha Streetbike 80 CC

Yamaha Y20
This post is 5703 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have what I believe to be a 1964 model Y 20 Yamaha.

It has a spot to mount a small 6 volt battery.

But the is no wires there to hook one up.

And I can not see were there used to be any wires that have been disconnected.

It is in great condition, and everything looks very original.

So I am baffled why no battery connections.

Does any one know about these little bikes?

Wiring diagram?

How to ident exact year? Y20 864554

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have what I believe to be a 1964 model Y 20 Yamaha.

It has a spot to mount a small 6 volt battery.

But the is no wires there to hook one up.

And I can not see were there used to be any wires that have been disconnected.

It is in great condition, and everything looks very original.

So I am baffled why no battery connections.

Does any one know about these little bikes?

Wiring diagram?

How to ident exact year? Y20 864554

Hi

Looks like an early YB100 from what I can see - in which case you may well not find a negative connection for the battery as it would go straight to earth on the frame. Not sure about the bike in general but if it like the YB then it will run a magneto system for starting and charging - the battery is only a 'backup' for keeping the electrics (lights) running at low speed, so maybe it didn't have a battery?

Sorry can't help more than that.

Good luck.

:rolleyes:

Hi

Looks like an early YB100 from what I can see - in which case you may well not find a negative connection for the battery as it would go straight to earth on the frame. Not sure about the bike in general but if it like the YB then it will run a magneto system for starting and charging - the battery is only a 'backup' for keeping the electrics (lights) running at low speed, so maybe it didn't have a battery?

Sorry can't help more than that.

REPLY>>>

I think you are right about the battery being a backup to run lights. As I can not use it at night, the mag does not put out enough to run lights and turn signal, or brake light at same time.

It is a 80cc Y20, but I am unsure of exact year..

The grounding wire for the battery is not there, and seems to be no place around the battery box to connect one to ground.

It has battery hold down hardware in the battery box, but no extra wire connections anywhere to connect to a battery.

Is it a 1964 YJ2, if it is Look Here

Use the Zoom in button

Hi

Looking at 'oldgit's' link the wiring is very similar to a YB - and if your bike is a 1964 I guess the indicators were not original which might explain why they won't work in conjuction with the other lights. If you are handy with an AVO I can send you instructions on how to test the output of the generator - just in cas you have a problem here.

As to fitting a battery the only real problem seems to be finding a 'live' connection - the earth you could improvise by fabricating a connection to somewhere you bolt to the frame. I could send you a copy of the YB wiring diagram if it will help - though there wire colours will almost certainly be different..

Hi

Looking at 'oldgit's' link the wiring is very similar to a YB - and if your bike is a 1964 I guess the indicators were not original which might explain why they won't work in conjuction with the other lights. If you are handy with an AVO I can send you instructions on how to test the output of the generator - just in cas you have a problem here.

As to fitting a battery the only real problem seems to be finding a 'live' connection - the earth you could improvise by fabricating a connection to somewhere you bolt to the frame. I could send you a copy of the YB wiring diagram if it will help - though there wire colours will almost certainly be different..

I think i figured it out from the pictures/ parts schematics, on the link he sent me.

It shows the battery positive hooking to the fuse from the rectifier.

When I got this bike, the fuse from rectifier was plugged into the yellow coming from motor going to ignition switch.

As the yellow is the charging wire , It looks like it is made to plug in there, when there is no battery available .

You will need to buy a half wave rectifier diode now, on the schematic it shows a flat plate 'selenium' rectifier, Those were the days :blink:

I got it working now.

bought a new battery, and the battery has the wires built on it to connect to bike.

Ground to rectifier mount screw, positive bullet plug to rectifier.

Why do I need a "half wave rectifier', now?

Are they more efficient?

Just get one from a newer bike?

I got it working now.

bought a new battery, and the battery has the wires built on it to connect to bike.

Ground to rectifier mount screw, positive bullet plug to rectifier.

Why do I need a "half wave rectifier', now?

Are they more efficient?

Just get one from a newer bike?

Ignore what i said, I didnt realise you already had a rectifier, when you wire it up and start the bike, check across the battery terminals to verify that it's charging ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Would you be able to send me a yb100 wiring diagram please? I have 2 earth connections and a live connection but no visable place to connect it!

Hi

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online