i know nobody will reply but

jonbott
This post is 5668 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok I know nobody actually replies on this forum but I need advice on a tyre for my bike..its currently got a knackered avon venom n wondered if anyone has a comment on a better tyre?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok I know nobody actually replies on this forum but I need advice on a tyre for my bike..its currently got a knackered avon venom n wondered if anyone has a comment on a better tyre?

Thats a cynical view of the people here, you probably wont get a reply now. :o

Steady on dear boy or should i say me hansum, you will get a reply and it will not be sod off, right what bike,what size, try a pirreli or bridgestone where in kernow are ya, i am just north of bude just in devon

Merv

Steady on dear boy or should i say me hansum, you will get a reply and it will not be sod off, right what bike,what size, try a pirreli or bridgestone where in kernow are ya, i am just north of bude just in devon

Merv

woops my god a reply!

its a 2000 dragstarclassic

got a 170/80 15 at the mo

I`m down south in redruth :lol:

woops my god a reply!

its a 2000 dragstarclassic

got a 170/80 15 at the mo

I`m down south in redruth :lol:

Ooooh you're a bit cheeky - no reply indeed - i hope you'renot always this hopeful!

I have a 2003 Dragstar Classic and i run Bridgestones on mine - brilliant :D

Mine are black !................and round.

Mine are black !................and round.

Why worry as long as they go round!

Spake the people who never ride in the rain and only pose on their bikes. remember that is the only thing keeping you from gravel rash etc, lesson learnt after my son smashed a bike wearing the chinese DIYUNG DITCHFINDER or golden boy etc tyres under a discovery, luckily he got away with minor injuries (broken leg) but after fitting michelins it transformed the bike, and the tyres were only £5 more expensive this was a FS1E though

Merv

Spake the people who never ride in the rain and only pose on their bikes. remember that is the only thing keeping you from gravel rash etc, lesson learnt after my son smashed a bike wearing the chinese DIYUNG DITCHFINDER or golden boy etc tyres under a discovery, luckily he got away with minor injuries (broken leg) but after fitting michelins it transformed the bike, and the tyres were only £5 more expensive this was a FS1E though

Merv

Easy mate, what do you know about being a courier in London, in whatever the weather decides to throw at you??? On all manner of bikes.

Merv

Have to agree with merv here, u do have to choose wiseley with tyres....have done 300,000 miles on bikes, many miles in rain,hail and snow in the last 3 years...tyre choice is crucial to your well being, choose a crappy tyre, get crappy results. Ive used several brands of tyres and never skimpt on buying cheapies. As for the remark above about

What do you know about being a courier in London
...Londons easy..I courier all over the UK and even into France and Germany, long distance urgent stuff, like donar organs, to blood samples to chemicals to be tested, machine parts, documents etc...you shouldnt go round assuming somebody knows less or more than you. For all you know, merv may be a courier king....

Remember this if nothing else....

Unless you have lived my life

Dont judge me because

you dont know, never have

and never will know every

little thing and detail about me.

Remember this if nothing else....

Unless you have lived my life

Dont judge me because

you dont know, never have

and never will know every

little thing and detail about me.

Unless you wear high heels and a face full of slap on a bike........ :lol:

Have to agree with merv here, u do have to choose wiseley with tyres....have done 300,000 miles on bikes, many miles in rain,hail and snow in the last 3 years...tyre choice is crucial to your well being, choose a crappy tyre, get crappy results. Ive used several brands of tyres and never skimpt on buying cheapies. As for the remark above about ...Londons easy..I courier all over the UK and even into France and Germany, long distance urgent stuff, like donar organs, to blood samples to chemicals to be tested, machine parts, documents etc...you shouldnt go round assuming somebody knows less or more than you. For all you know, merv may be a courier king....

all hail King Merv, the courier King!!! :princess:

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the original topis and to Mr. Knackered Avons.....

What's wrong with brand new Avons, then???!!!

I run a 650 Drag on Avon Venoms quite happily.

I have ridden in pissing rain (including over the weekend), freezing weather and chucking snow, all at up to 107mph.

OK, part of this is because I am a nutter and DEMAND my bike does what she's supposed to.

The other part is because I have excellent tyres.

Manual says Dunlop or Bridgestones, I believe....

Well, I've decked the pegs out at ninety-something without any hint of traction-loss.

I've ridden 12,000 miles on my tyres and I'm nowhere near thinking of replacing them yet!!

Nowt wrong wiv yer Venoms, mate!!

Pretty cheap, too.

Back to the original topis and to Mr. Knackered Avons.....

What's wrong with brand new Avons, then???!!!

I do believe he didnt say there was anything wrong with them - just had anyone a comment on a better tyre.

I run a 650 Drag on Avon Venoms quite happily.

I have ridden in pissing rain (including over the weekend), freezing weather and chucking snow, all at up to 107mph.

OK, part of this is because I am a nutter and DEMAND my bike does what she's supposed to.

107mph in those conditions and on a Dragstar 650 too eh - nutter you may be, some would say it was absolute suicide.

Screwing the balls off the bike at 107mph wont do it any favours either.

The other part is because I have excellent tyres.

Manual says Dunlop or Bridgestones, I believe....

Well, I've decked the pegs out at ninety-something without any hint of traction-loss.

I've ridden 12,000 miles on my tyres and I'm nowhere near thinking of replacing them yet!!

Nowt wrong wiv yer Venoms, mate!!

Pretty cheap, too.

Decking the pegs out at 90 - you're determined to wreck that bike aintcha.

Tyres are personal preference though. I have Pirellis on my Bandit - great tyres - but they might be shite on the Dragstar........

I do believe he didnt say there was anything wrong with them - just had anyone a comment on a better tyre.

Sorry - Mis-interpreted the implication.

107mph in those conditions and on a Dragstar 650 too eh - nutter you may be, some would say it was absolute suicide.

Screwing the balls off the bike at 107mph wont do it any favours either.

Yeah, I have some irresponsible moments.

But, the bike can perform, so I insist that it does.

I refuse to 'cruise' everywhere at 40mph. It's not a Harley, it's not all about posing.... and this was not all done in the UK, either.

Decking the pegs out at 90 - you're determined to wreck that bike aintcha.

That was having to avoid a dangerously indecisive car driver.

To be honest, I had more hairy moments on my 125 Drag, because that didn't have the characteristics to perform.

Find a better tyre place!!!!

Seriously, all the boys round here quote one price, all inclusive.

Then again, they are also taking responsibility if something goes up the creek down the road, like if your brakes are mis-aligned, the bushes pop out or whatever......

So unless you know exactly what you are doing and are confident in your ability to follow instructions - Let the professionals do it!!!

I tend to find the tyre guys round here are comparatively clueless about anything mechanical. But they know EVERYTHING that could possibly involve tyres and associated bits!!!

Find a better tyre place!!!!

Seriously, all the boys round here quote one price, all inclusive.

Then again, they are also taking responsibility if something goes up the creek down the road, like if your brakes are mis-aligned, the bushes pop out or whatever......

So unless you know exactly what you are doing and are confident in your ability to follow instructions - Let the professionals do it!!!

I tend to find the tyre guys round here are comparatively clueless about anything mechanical. But they know EVERYTHING that could possibly involve tyres and associated bits!!!

ok will do

Easy mate, what do you know about being a courier in London, in whatever the weather decides to throw at you??? On all manner of bikes.

I Kmow stuf all about couriering in london, and admit too it, but know one thing you dont go around a corner and find the road 2 ins deep in cowshit in london. 5 years of riding bikes too work in my in the country in my teens taught me a lot about reading road conditions etc. oh and included one slide up he road on a shit sliick that i had put there earlier in the day myself and forgot about at the pub ended up sitting on my arse following the fissy up the road on its side

Merv

Spake the people who never ride in the rain and only pose on their bikes.

A big 'Kiss My Arse, Matey' to ya on that one, as I do ride in the rain, wind, snow, sun and whatever else happens to be upon us on the day. I ride pretty much every day, certainly every weekday and wouldn't do otherwise.

and included one slide up he road on a shit sliick that i had put there earlier in the day myself

I do not understand.

Why did you put a slick of shit on the road?

End of the day, tyres are not so über important that you need to understand them like a scientist does before even walking into a tyre shop........ But neither should you just pick the cheapest, as you'll get what you pay for.

Check the manual, check what other owners have used and make an informed decision.

Also try asking the guys who've been fitting the things for 15 years - They'll likely know a thing or two!!

You do not need to be a scientific tyre expert unless you are designing a 250mph race bike!!!

You DO need to take it easy for the first 100 or so miles while the tyre gets worn in a bit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online