XT550 Leaking fuel tap

This post is 5653 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Where is it leaking from? Is it the outside or inside can you tell for sure?

When you find out come back here.

Be careful if you are using the bike. We don't like our members riding down the road in flames even if it does look good!

• 2 weeks later...

G`day,

Is it leaking from "tank to tap" or is it leaking from the "lever" on the tap?

You are going to have to take it off again so, check the threads, male and female. The seals sometimes differ, so make sure its not too hard, (you know, that new plastic`y kind of stuff- no good) and don`t do it up too tight, as this will have an inverse effect, just firm.

I`am unsure about whether you should be using a "sealent" or not. I have done over a dozen tanks and never had to use it.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Had this issue with a few Yamaha's in the past.......but fortunately NOT with my 550......although due to lack of everyday use, I inadvertantly snapped off the lever right @ the pivot :blush: ....which coulda been cured with a shot of WD. :rolleyes:

The gaskets in the tap assembly itself tend to dry out & become brittle after being stored for some time.

I ended up buying a new tap from MOTOGRID which was $35 well spent. ;)

FYI....the MotoGrid site is great for referencing with the exploded parts views.

The fuel petcock is rebuildable.

I would certainly be interested in some pointers on this.

I have even purchased some NOS fuel taps and they all have a leak!.

Mine seem to leak mostly from the bottom of the assembly when the tap is on,.. although I think one leaks all the time!

Interesting that you can overtighten these, as that is the natural reaction to try and seal it up?

Would certainly be interested in some overhaul tips. I assume it requires making a new rubber seal?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online