Sign in to follow this  
dolphans1

1979 1100 XS Eleven Speicial Left Side Baterry Side Cover (Blk)

I am sure this topic has been asked a zillion times and I have received many answers and suggestions from calling over 30 different phone numbers, you know the usual go to ebay, salvage yard and so on, but I lost my left side battery cover to my 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 Special, the side cover said cover said XS Eleven Special on it and it was black.

As most of you know, most of the left side battery covers being sold online have the broken locking tab that sticks out on the inner side, that has to be removed with the actual motorcycle ignition key, and most people forget and yank on the left side because the right side pulls off, and the only way to correctly remove this side is to use your actual motorcycle ignition key to remove it.

Does anyone know if anyone out there produces these side covers?

You woulld think they would, but apparently no one does.

If anyone knows someone who may have an original laying around or parting out a bike, please let me know where.

Thanks,

d-1

I hate that I have to answer my own question, I would like more involvement and interaction, that is the goal and the purpose of this site, the sharing of information.

I find it unfortunate that Yamaha Corp. does not make these parts anymore, especially for those of us that would like to restore our "Classic" bikes.

Below is a site that I found after days of extensive research, that re-produces the older emblems and decals.

Reproduction Emblems and Stickers

If anyone knows of anyone who reproduces the plastic side covers for the 1979 XS Eleven Special, please let us know....

Sincerely , d-1.......

I am sure this topic has been asked a zillion times and I have received many answers and suggestions from calling over 30 different phone numbers, you know the usual go to ebay, salvage yard and so on, but I lost my left side battery cover to my 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 Special, the side cover said cover said XS Eleven Special on it and it was black.

As most of you know, most of the left side battery covers being sold online have the broken locking tab that sticks out on the inner side, that has to be removed with the actual motorcycle ignition key, and most people forget and yank on the left side because the right side pulls off, and the only way to correctly remove this side is to use your actual motorcycle ignition key to remove it.

Does anyone know if anyone out there produces these side covers?

You woulld think they would, but apparently no one does.

If anyone knows someone who may have an original laying around or parting out a bike, please let me know where.

Thanks,

d-1

Thanks for the link on the Badges! that saved me a lot of time. I need the left side of the side cover as well.

If anyone has since found some or would like to part with theirs please message me. 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Dont try to take the side panel off without the actual ignition key cos the small inside bit thats inside will brake off and yoo cant fix that bit cos its a wee bit of plastic that brakes off, thats how I broke the won on my last bike and that was a xs1100

Some intelligent input there Choco, I think the guy is aware of already <_<

I only just got the old XS1100, and there is no left side cover, however i have a mate whom has a set, so i may try and get him to loan me his so i can replicate them..

Wow .. I got real lucky with a side cover.. This arrived in the Post on saturday... Been all cleaned up and ready to go to the painters..

th_YamahaXS1100leftcover.jpg

I got a mould made but due to lack of interest on ebay i have shelved this idea , Made a replica one and then sold the bike with the original i got ..I am now finding its hardly worth the effort that people go to to making replicas myself included to trying to solve these hard to find items..I guess its down to people only wanting orginal parts which are very often not available and so a lot of bikes go about with the proverbial missing side cover.. Oh well live and learn i say..

there is a company that makes all sorts of cover in black. They are always at the Stafford show

I have a pair right and left black. Don't know if they are 79 or 80. I am looking for 1979 xs left side cover green. You can try the ones I have if you want or I can send you pictures

• Like 1

Haw mate

The post is 6 years old and the guy only made 4 posts, 2 of which were on this thread, so he's probably got a set of panels then buggered off, like so many of these fly by night posters.

You have done a good thing. Your first post was offering to help, well done bud. Next step is to post in the new members section and then hang around

• Like 2