1974 DT 175. stuck in neutral.

lotty
This post is 5710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oldgit, cheers for that, mate. Really is much appreciated. Living up here in and amongst the Pennines, it looks like I'll be checking out some green lanes this year after all. Mega.

Colne, Lancashire. It's and old, small, cotton mill town. It's ok. Is it an area you know?

Yes used to go through many years ago on my way up to the dales, lots of hills round there! But can you still ride on green lanes, many of them have been closed now :(

Yes used to go through many years ago on my way up to the dales, lots of hills round there! But can you still ride on green lanes, many of them have been closed now :(

I thought you'd know the area here by way of it being on the trail up to the dales and lakes. I have never actually been on a green lane. I had to sell my DT 175 MX when I was 18, as I'd had plenty of biking fun with my mates, but had discovered women and so needed a car and the money to buy one, so the MX had to go. Naturally I regretted it years later, as kids cost a fortune, but jokes aside, I did regret selling the MX, and also the AP 50 I had before that, but that's just all part of the threadbare, rather than rich tapesty of youth. And then grownup world got a grip of me and biking had to take a backseat as I tackled the challenges. But, now in my 40s things are a bit better and hence a DT 175 in my life again. How many blokes also have the same story? Thousands and thousands.

I tend to just potter about on sunny summer days around where I live, in terms of rides. I go off road a bit on bits of land here and there, and got talking to a bloke who went on green lanes. He told me of a boozer to go in where there are bikers who do green laning, and I was all fired up for it and then within days the bike got stuck in neutral, and i just put the repairing to one side until winter as there's some summer jobs to do on the house whilst the weather is here. But the bloke did tell me the green lane was just about to be closed down to bikes, and this was why I was keen to do it straight away. In fact I'd planned to go the day after when the bike broke, and it seemed so unbelievable bad timing I wondered if a guardian angel knew was not careful enough and so saved me. Very frustrating indeed.

But as far as I know there are still some green lanes, for the time being. I expect green lanes to be more of a muddy scramble, and that isn't really my bag. I just potter on tarmac doing about 25 or 40 mph max.