1974 DT 175. stuck in neutral.

lotty
This post is 5731 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I was just riding along but pulling away from some lights I thought, 'Funny, that's the second time that I have just pulled away in 2nd, when I thought I was in 1st'. At the next junction I made sure that the lever would not click down anymore, but once again I had to set off in 2nd. Then I could feel that I was not fluidly going up and down the gears, and I pulled over and strugglled to get it in neutral, and when eventually I did get it in neutral I could not get it out of neutral at all.......... the lever went up and down, springing back to its middle position, but no hint of a gear could be then ever be found at all, like the gears had vanished, and I ended up having to get a flat-back waggon which was going my way to take me and the bike the few miles home for a tenner. A day or two later I looked in the manual and could see it appeared like a big job because access to the box would involve removal and dismantelling of the lot. I would tackle the dismantling and reassembly, but the problem is that I have no idea what I am looking for. Obviously there might be something out of shape or broken, which I could assume to be the culprit, but what if it wasn't so mechanically obvious? I'd just end up, well, with a zillion pieces and scratching my head. So you can see that I really do need to take some advice about this, and I would be especially grateful if someone has had exactly the same problem. The bike itself is original and only done just over 5K which is genuine because of the original tyres which I have just had to replace, and the gearbox has never given any problem before in the slightest, and has always run perfectly.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,

from the sounds of things it sounds like a selector shaft problem, the selector shaft is a shaft within the gearbox with a U shaped bracket attached which sits in between the gears and engages and disengages the gears ! there is more than just one of these and they are moved by the selector shaft drum which is cylindrical and has slots cut out of it in diffferent area's which the selector shafts are plugged into?

unfortunatly untill you take it apart and have a look at it and maybe take some photo's I cant give you any more advice

hopefully when you take it apart it will be clearly visable?

Hope this helps

Regards

Bill

Cheers for that, Bill. The manual has good pictures of those U-shaped selectors, so i know what you mean. Just chatting about the gearbox on this forum is making me want to get started on it because it is a big mysterty, and I don't feel so alone with the daunting task.

Cheers for that, Bill. The manual has good pictures of those U-shaped selectors, so i know what you mean. Just chatting about the gearbox on this forum is making me want to get started on it because it is a big mysterty, and I don't feel so alone with the daunting task.

If youre lucky it might just be a broken spring, number 14 on here

Shifter

You would not have to split the crank case to get this far

Oldgit, I shall look for a broken spring. In fact, I am all fired-up about this, so i've decided to get stuck into it this week, and I'll update here when there is any progress. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so with a bit of luck four photos should pop up here, if not I'll try again, so here goes........http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m328/lotty_018/

• Open a photobucket account
  • Upload your pics there
  • with each pic you will see four fields
  • Copy the IMG field
  • Paste into the forum

Oops sorry lotty, already told you this

When you click on the IMG field you will see it says copies

Then go back to forum and past it in there

ttp://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m328/lotty_018/. Nope, I'm affraid it's just not playing ball. I copied the URL, and then tried to paste it here (by pressing control and v at the same time, as I normally do for youtube, which always works). So I just don't know. Any ideas, anyone?

Well, I don't know why sometimes i can get a picture up and sometimes not. Anyway the other side is just the oil pump side, which you can imagine. I'm away for some kip, now. Cheers.

Right, mates, it's good news...........the home brew has turned out very well, and this is the main thing, but also good news is that I have sorted the 'stuck in neutral' problem.

Firstly, I have to say that I absolutely detest computers with all my heart, hence all the mess with the pictures. Anyway, if you're interested in what the problem was and its solution, if you look at the three pictures I have just posted you will see two photos showing the gear selector arm and the gear selector drum, and you will notice that on one photo the arm has slipped off the drum, so that the arm's end is not able to pull and push the selector drum around, and this is what had happened.

The reason why this happened is that there was some play, about 6mm, as the gear change shaft (see the third photo) was able to slide laterally, so the selector arm was able to jump off the drum. The fact that it was in neutral meant nothing, as the arm could have come off the drum leaving the gearbox in any of the gears as much as in neutral, and the cure was simply to pack the shaft, at the gear lever side, with a couple of washers.

So, that's it, sorted.

I would like some help, please, as to where to get gaskets for the case (or do you think I can get away with the old one and some joining compound?), and I suppose also for the cylinder barrel and head.

And as for advice regarding the home brew................get some on!

Cheers, all the breast, etc, etc...

lotty

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online