Chosing a 125.... help

Adzi
This post is 5661 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im looking to buy a 125 in the next two weeks because since the new law is goin to kick in at the end of october i cant buy the new 08 ninja 250 or do the A2 test so im going to have to buy a 125 bike and i need to put a deposit on either an 2008 aprilia rs125 or 2008 yzf r125 because they sell f*ckin quickly when there in stock.

Can anyone with experiance or info on either bikes (rs125 or yzf 125) like top speed or servicing or anything reli?

What do you think is better value for money and overall the better bike?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the law ?

age? country?

the yzf 125 is a 4 stroke so in terms of speed only about 70/75mph

the rs125 about 120 mph unrestricted but not the most reliable bike

Im from south england, near gatwick. I live in the country so surrounded by long roads to other vilages and towns.

And im 16 at the moment but 17 in november. I would get a bike then but the dealer that sells the yammie only has the yellow black and white coloured left and the rs dealer is getting in all the new 08 bikes in the next few weks, so i want t order mine before they all go.

If both restricted, how fast will either go?

Im from south england, near gatwick. I live in the country so surrounded by long roads to other vilages and towns.

And im 16 at the moment but 17 in november. I would get a bike then but the dealer that sells the yammie only has the yellow black and white coloured left and the rs dealer is getting in all the new 08 bikes in the next few weks, so i want t order mine before they all go.

If both restricted, how fast will either go?

ist of all rs125 are too noisy , 2nd not user friendly and not reliable,plus they drink oil like fish coz of 2 stroke engine. i would go for r125 top speed 85mph restricted.with the r125 its 2 year warranty and the first service is free.

avoid a rs125

you need a 2stroke and if you are looking for speed dont bother looking at 125's

anyway whatever bike you get make sure you mod it

If you dont recomend a 125 then what do you recomend a 17 year old rides?

How fast would a derestricted r125 go?

If you dont recomend a 125 then what do you recomend a 17 year old rides?

How fast would a derestricted r125 go?

as your turning 17 and on a cbt the max u can ride is up to a 125cc, u have the choice of reliability vs speed,

if you want minimal trouble and an avrage speed of say 75-80mph restricted then go for a 4T yzf-r125 (dont know about the de-restricted speed)

if you want common problems and regular maintance and some where around 85mph restriced(i think) and 100mph+ de-restricted go for a 2t rs125

i used to ride a rs125 but got sick of spending out time and money on engine parts and oils. not to mention the waiting for it to warm up before you can ride properly.the speed is great on it and its a good bike, but there is a lot of maintanance involved after a while and if you dont look after them. and now with the new ones 07 and upwards i belive that there harder to de-restrict to get full bhp as ther more complicated cdi's

so ive just gone and bought a yzf-r125,(still running it in) great little bike, as i dont want the hassel of warming the thing up and having to buy oil every week and wondering when its going to stop working.

if you dont care about the maintance side and just want the speed go for the 2t (rs125) so maybe a second hand one fully de-restricted and use the rest of the money for parts when u need it.

Or if you want a more reliable bike and not alot of hassle from it. go for the 4t (yzf-r125).

i have to disagree. I had an RS125 a few years back - it was great!

That bike was nippy as hell!

You do have to look after them though, but that goes for any bike really. And they do need a lot of oil, but again it depends if you can be arsed to do all that. As for warming up - it was never really an issue for me.

I never had ANY problems with my RS and i highly recommend them.

15CA93CCE3-B7F9-0578-A3E6025F8ECCF8.jpg

i have to disagree. I had an RS125 a few years back - it was great!

That bike was nippy as hell!

You do have to look after them though, but that goes for any bike really. And they do need a lot of oil, but again it depends if you can be arsed to do all that. As for warming up - it was never really an issue for me.

I never had ANY problems with my RS and i highly recommend them.

15CA93CCE3-B7F9-0578-A3E6025F8ECCF8.jpg

WOW!!!! Nice look there Goff.

Heres mine

Aprillia2jpg.jpg

02-03-06_1700whenIgotit.jpg

Had 2 of these monsters...wicked machine, yes you have to REALLY LOOK after them because they are so finely tuned, I had mine apart every 2 weeks for a decoke, I used Very highgrade 2 stroke oil an rode for miles on them....(50,000) miles ish give or take a few :lol:, I then put a 175cc bore kit in the last one I had, fook me!!!!! Very very quick..indeed...127mph tops. I took mine to London, upto Scotland accross to Newcastle and beyond.

I never had a problem with my RS125s either, its all in the LOOKING after bit, dont do this with any bike and you will suffer, either in pocket or because it will fail on you and cause you to have a spin down the road.

Warming up took no time at all....and it had street cred because I was usually passing much bigger bikes...its light, nimble and stupidly fast....Loved it.....

Chocrebuild-0004.jpg

Heheheheheheheheh....back in the days when I hadnt decorated and put Laminate down...........AND YES I still do all my repairs and service in my front room...My front room has seen quite a few rebuilds.....From Rs125s through Kawasakis, Yamahas, Suzukis, Ducatis and even a Honda Rebel.

Yo, I've had my r125 for about a month now. It's run in and i can push it to around 80mph. after that it's out of puff. Dealer says you can get a big bore head, re-mapped cdi, full exhaust system but that will cost you around £500+ so it's up to you whether you want to spend that on upgrades/new bike/ or insurance (cat 6 - expensive for CBT only riders). With that mod he says you easily go over a ton but there's no spec sheet yet as they are selling quickly and it's been out for only a short period of time. I reckon 110 is top speed with the gearing ultimately restricting top speed unless you change final drive sprocket.

I'm pretty happy the way it is as i commute to work from outside Edinburgh (lovely roads) into Tram infested road works, pot holed ridden town centre.

500+ is a lot and you wouldn't be able to re-sell it to L drivers that easily with mods.

Jonny

ist of all rs125 are too noisy , 2nd not user friendly and not reliable,plus they drink oil like fish coz of 2 stroke engine. i would go for r125 top speed 85mph restricted.with the r125 its 2 year warranty and the first service is free.

the first service isint free as had to pay for the oil and filter and top speed is 80mph trust me i know

Dont we all enjoy rebuilding and servicing our machines?

Chocrebuild-0003.jpg

Chocrebuild-0006.jpg

Chocrebuild-0010.jpg

Pics a little hazy and blurred, but colour photos had just come out...... :lol:

100_3293.jpg

photo-0102.jpg

photo-0103.jpg

i wish i could do that :(

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

when i was 17 I had a ybr then passed my test a few months later and got bandit restricted to 33bhp which more then capable of doing plus 70. Then I moved to a FZ6 Fazer S2 and have just got it de restricted. It is well worth the wait!

My First ever bike YBR-125

10-06-06_1707-1.jpg

My First "Big Bike" Bandit 600n

DSC00219-1.jpg

My New(ish) toy FZ6 Fazer S2

DSC01357.jpg

Now it was worth the wait from 125 - 33bhp 600 - to full power

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online