so i have this funny rash

karmadrome
This post is 5745 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

its on my hand before you ask

and its rather itchy its driving me insane, cant sleep because of it infact, i think its an allergic reaction to petrol but thats insane right? i mean i cant find any info on people being allergic to petrol but while in the lock up today i spilt a shead load on my hand, the other option is spray paint - but ive been using that for years and never had issues before...

anyway what im asking is - anyone ever heard of anyone being allergic to petrol before? or is it my gloves (the lining - odd as my gloves have been with me as long as ive been riding) or can you think of anything else i could of reacted badly to under the petrol tank?

id rather not have to go through this again frankly so if i can work out what it is i will avoid it in the future.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its on my hand before you ask

and its rather itchy its driving me insane, cant sleep because of it infact, i think its an allergic reaction to petrol but thats insane right?

I wouldn't say it's insane - I only developed a pollen allergy when I turned 18.

If it's that bad the best option is a doctor, or pop into the Chemist as they'll be best able to advise you.

In the mean time I'd give my hands a bloody good wash with a degreaser (fairy is as good as anything), then a trusted soap (one you use regular) and make sure it's rinsed off well. If you've got any Distilled Witchhazel, that will reduce the itching. Optrex, could be used as a substitute

Petrol has some nasty chemicals in it so it could just be a normal reation to that rather than an allergy. It can damage your eyes so it's perfectly possible it's damaged your skin

Have you ever used any cleaning agents on your bike? or the previous owner (sorry I'm not sure how old you bike is or how long you've had it). Often wheel cleaners will have abrasive (and irritant) chemicals in them, who knows what other cleaning agents could have?? This is a bit of a shot-in-the-dark mind, but possible.

You may have just run over a spill on the road that's sprayed up the underside of your bike - Who knows what that could be, or what's in it.

Your best bet is the Quacks though.

Sounds like some form of dermatitis. It could be you didnt wash the petrol off quickly enough and what was left has irritated your skin - funnily enough washing up liquid does this to my hands if i dont rinse them properly.

Get to the quacks if it isnt clearing up and get it sorted. :D

funnily enough washing up liquid does this to my hands if i dont rinse them properly.

You need to change to Fairy!

"Hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face, with mild green ........" I guess you need to be a 'certain' age to remember that one :help:

Could be the gloves, when i used to play football my goalie glves were made of something my skin didnt like

and they gave me a really annoying rash so could be glove????

If you spilled petrol, then put your gloves on without a proper wash, they will have picked up some of the chemicals and every time you wear them you are renewing the irritant application to your (now clean) hands. (have a sniff and see what they smell like inside)

If your gloves are old, as you say, it might be time to invest in some new ones.

Think about using a barrier cream before you do any work on your bike. As someone mentioned above, it is not just what you have sprayed / applied to your bike, it is everything else on the road and spayed up by traffic that you are getting covered in.

NB, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST REASONS NOT TO PUT YOUR GLOVES INSIDE YOUR LID WHEN YOU PARK UP. THE CHEMICAL RESIDUES ON YOUR GLOVES DO NOT DO THE LINING OR THE POLYSTYRENE (or whatever) INNER SHELL OF YOUR LID ANY GOOD. NOR IS IT ADVISABLE TO THEN RUB YOUR HEAD AND FACE IN IT EVERY TIME YOU PUT YOUR LID BACK ON.

YOU WOULDN`T WASH YOUR LID IN A ROADSIDE PUDDLE, WOULD YOU, SO WHY RUB THE SAME SH**E INSIDE IT WITH YOUR GLOVES :blink:

i dont think it could be road wash, as my bike is so clean i literally could eat off the gear box. ive gone out and gotten some barrier cream for next time im under the engine, looked at new gloves (and now thanks to the above post looked at new helmets too.. eeew) and scrubbed my hand with a loreal face wash that i have proven can get ink off my face, hands and everywhere else i tend to get it.

still itches like hell though but its looking less bumpy and red now.

i dont wash the dishes by hand, i have a wif... i mean dishwasher that does it for me :)

now thinking it could be the paint, bone white (for some reason) has a ton more chemicals then the other colors in the range :( shame because the finish it gives is stunning.

oh and have an allergy test tomorrow to find out what im reacting to

It'll be dermatitis, from the fuel most likely.

I have a tendancy towards getting it, especially if I don't keep my skin 'hydrated' when at work (and before you think that sounds like some cr*p off a womans' magazine, if I don't drink plenty of water during the day at work (as I hate wearing gloves) then I'll get a little red itchiness on the backs of my hands).

I've been working with paint and chemicals all of my professional life.

Last 9 years has been making car paints, working with solvents and resin and stuff - occasionally (new) personnel at my place develop dermatitis and have to be taken out of the production areas.

I'd not worry about it, it will clear up - but in future clean it off properly and drink plenty of liquid when working with paints or spilling petrol!

(And I hate wearing barrier cream or gloves, don't 'have' to with drinking half a dozen glasses of water during the day).

2-pack spray paint (especially clear) can have the same effect that you describe, so can old engine oil etc...

Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online