YBR 125

guiraud
This post is 5771 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I can't seem to find a specific topic/forum only for Yamaha YBR 125. If it exists, can someone help me to find it? If not, how to create this topic? While out off the road yesterday in the middle of nowhere in the south of France my clutch simply gave up and I'd like to have some valuable input if possible. Many thanks !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello,

I can't seem to find a specific topic/forum only for Yamaha YBR 125. If it exists, can someone help me to find it? If not, how to create this topic? While out off the road yesterday in the middle of nowhere in the south of France my clutch simply gave up and I'd like to have some valuable input if possible. Many thanks !

What do you mean "gave up" can you be more specific

Did the cable snap?

Did it start slipping?

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply, very grateful. Here is what happened. I was on a very rocky unpaved forest trail with my little Yamaha YBR 125, a machine that I appreciate a lot and with which I've never had any problems whatever. I often take it off the road and ask it to do things it was never designed for; one of the reasons I like it so much. 2,200 kilometres on the clock, the 1,000 break-in period scrupulously respected. A modestly steep incline. Temperature about 35°; the motor, gear box and clutch very hot, obviously. Tough going on the rocky trail, but little by little I was getting where I wanted to go, about 10 kilometres up the trail. Then, fairly rapidly, the clutch began to slip and the motor would stall. Then, nothing; motor running, clutch fully engaged, whatever the gear selected, no movement. I stopped and let everything cool off for about 45 minutes, with the same result when I restarted; no engagement, no movement, but no stalled motor either. I checked the cable; unbroken; the little lever on the gearbox moved when I squeezed the clutch lever. Next, I adjusted the clutch play with the little adjusting screw at the lever. More play, less play, same result; no clutch engagement, no movement. Oil level in the gearbox; correct, therefore the clutch was "irrigated". Fortunately, my French insurance company was able to send out a Land Rover after a call from my cell phone, which took about 2 hours to reach me and take the machine and me directly to the Yamaha dealer. His reply after my explanation (machine, new, still under 2 year guarantee), "I have no idea what is going on (!!!). We'll have a look and if necessary send it to Montpellier (the regional Yamaha service centre, I live about 50 kilometres away) to have it diagnosed." I doubt very much that this is a gearbox problem; it has to be the clutch, but why? It just doesn't make sense. One mysterious thing I noticed upon giving the machine to the dealer; there was no play whatever in the clutch lever as before this incident, very odd that. Motor started immediately, but no engagement and no movement. There it is, and again many thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Hello,

if there is no play in the lever that looks like a cable or something has snaped?

i wouldnt take a ybr of road either lol.

Hello,

By "no play" I meant to indicate that there was no movement in the gear lever before engagement; as I said, the cable was not broken. And I think there is always some movement (play) in the lever before engagement, principally because over time the cable stretches. As for not taking the YBR off the road, could be, could be, but look at these two sites:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/rally...eport/0003.html

http://www.re-moto.com/the_motorcycles.php

I'm planing a trip in the fall, departure mid to end September, when it will be cooler. My home near Montpellier, Marseille, boat, Cosica, boat, Sardinia, boat, Tunisia, southern desert, return. About 7,500 kilometers on this little comfortable (!), reliable beast. Based on the experience of others who have traveled very long distances on a YBR 125, I am reasonably confident that I will make it, in large part camping along the way. Anybody like to do it with me?

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply, very grateful. Here is what happened. I was on a very rocky unpaved forest trail with my little Yamaha YBR 125, a machine that I appreciate a lot and with which I've never had any problems whatever. I often take it off the road and ask it to do things it was never designed for; one of the reasons I like it so much. 2,200 kilometres on the clock, the 1,000 break-in period scrupulously respected. A modestly steep incline. Temperature about 35°; the motor, gear box and clutch very hot, obviously. Tough going on the rocky trail, but little by little I was getting where I wanted to go, about 10 kilometres up the trail. Then, fairly rapidly, the clutch began to slip and the motor would stall. Then, nothing; motor running, clutch fully engaged, whatever the gear selected, no movement. I stopped and let everything cool off for about 45 minutes, with the same result when I restarted; no engagement, no movement, but no stalled motor either. I checked the cable; unbroken; the little lever on the gearbox moved when I squeezed the clutch lever. Next, I adjusted the clutch play with the little adjusting screw at the lever. More play, less play, same result; no clutch engagement, no movement. Oil level in the gearbox; correct, therefore the clutch was "irrigated". Fortunately, my French insurance company was able to send out a Land Rover after a call from my cell phone, which took about 2 hours to reach me and take the machine and me directly to the Yamaha dealer. His reply after my explanation (machine, new, still under 2 year guarantee), "I have no idea what is going on (!!!). We'll have a look and if necessary send it to Montpellier (the regional Yamaha service centre, I live about 50 kilometres away) to have it diagnosed." I doubt very much that this is a gearbox problem; it has to be the clutch, but why? It just doesn't make sense. One mysterious thing I noticed upon giving the machine to the dealer; there was no play whatever in the clutch lever as before this incident, very odd that. Motor started immediately, but no engagement and no movement. There it is, and again many thanks for your thoughts and advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like fun i hope you have planned for where you will change the tyre's between road and sand and know where the garages that you can get the bike repairs if anything happens. I am planning a trip to egypt next year with me my grandad and cousin at the moment it's 2 ybr's and a fzr6 gotta get some of the off road tyre's the remto guys got for theirs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online