HELP NEEDED

trevor07765
This post is 5454 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI MY WIFE HAS A XV535 GREAT BIKE FOR AROUND TOWN AND SHORT TRIPS UP THE MOTORWAY BUT NOT FOR PROLONGED USE AT 70, IF THE BIKE WAS CHAINE DRIVEN I WOULD PUT A SMALLER SPROCKET ON THE REAR PROBLEM SOLVED BUT IT BEING SHAFT DRIVEN I HAVE NO IDEAR, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS IN ADVANCE TREVOR

• 8 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 3 weeks later...

HI MY WIFE HAS A XV535 GREAT BIKE FOR AROUND TOWN AND SHORT TRIPS UP THE MOTORWAY BUT NOT FOR PROLONGED USE AT 70, IF THE BIKE WAS CHAINE DRIVEN I WOULD PUT A SMALLER SPROCKET ON THE REAR PROBLEM SOLVED BUT IT BEING SHAFT DRIVEN I HAVE NO IDEAR, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS IN ADVANCE TREVOR

bought a 535 afew months ago to return to biking after 30 years ,lovely looking bike ,but is revving its head off at motorway speed,am always looking for another gear,not much you can do about it with a shaft drive ,unless you could fit a larger back rim or change gears ratio`s in the box ,neither of which would really be practical ,think it`s something you will have to live ,as i do till i get around to changing it for something with a bit more go in it

• 3 weeks later...

This is a Japanese V-twin motorcycle designed to be revved but it shouldn't vibrate. It will never be as smooth (i.e bland) as an in-line 4-cylinder bike. I have a 1991 535 model and it will sit all day comfortably at motorway speeds e.g. Calais(France) to Trier (Germany) at 70 mph with two stops for fuel/snack. I have 70,000 miles on the clock and the engine, shaft and wheel bearings are still perfect. A Yamaha mechanic told me this engine will easily go past 100,000 miles. As added insurance though I've used Slick 50 from nearly new.

Every bike I've owned has smoother/rougher rev ranges. My Virago is slightly tingly around mid-60's (mph), between 60/65 m.p.h. Below and above that range, almost like a turbine.

First silly question - is the bike restricted? Should go to 90+ m.p.h (not fun though at that speed)

Second silly question - how many gears can you select? Should be five.

Crucial to smooth running is carburettors balance, slightly out and the tingles set in; as you say o.k. on short trips, not nice on long trips. I balance mine with Morgan mercury gauges, fiddly to get exactly right, but worth it. As a treat I once had them balanced electronically by a dealer (DMA Racing, near Swindon, Wilts), very nice. The good news is that the carbs. stay in sync for a long time.

Other factors that could contribute to rougher running are:

worn or wrong spark plugs (you can try hotter/cooler than the books say),

clogged air filter

loose tappets

carburettor heaters not working

lose engine mounting bolts

The 535 V-win engine is the best part of owning a Virago. Enjoy.

This is a Japanese V-twin motorcycle designed to be revved but it shouldn't vibrate. It will never be as smooth (i.e bland) as an in-line 4-cylinder bike. I have a 1991 535 model and it will sit all day comfortably at motorway speeds e.g. Calais(France) to Trier (Germany) at 70 mph with two stops for fuel/snack. I have 70,000 miles on the clock and the engine, shaft and wheel bearings are still perfect. A Yamaha mechanic told me this engine will easily go past 100,000 miles. As added insurance though I've used Slick 50 from nearly new.

Every bike I've owned has smoother/rougher rev ranges. My Virago is slightly tingly around mid-60's (mph), between 60/65 m.p.h. Below and above that range, almost like a turbine.

First silly question - is the bike restricted? Should go to 90+ m.p.h (not fun though at that speed)

Second silly question - how many gears can you select? Should be five.

Crucial to smooth running is carburettors balance, slightly out and the tingles set in; as you say o.k. on short trips, not nice on long trips. I balance mine with Morgan mercury gauges, fiddly to get exactly right, but worth it. As a treat I once had them balanced electronically by a dealer (DMA Racing, near Swindon, Wilts), very nice. The good news is that the carbs. stay in sync for a long time.

Other factors that could contribute to rougher running are:

worn or wrong spark plugs (you can try hotter/cooler than the books say),

clogged air filter

loose tappets

carburettor heaters not working

lose engine mounting bolts

The 535 V-win engine is the best part of owning a Virago. Enjoy.

Sorry to hijack this a little bit... Very nice set of tips there. My 535 is a 1993 model and has a little over 8000 miles on it. It does vibrate a good bit at around 65mph but seems to get better at about 75. But, even though I don't try it often, I don't believe it will go far over 80mph. Should it top the 95mph mark as I've read around? With ease?

Cheers,

Pedro.

535 supposedly tops out at 92.

But then, supposedly so do all Cruisers.... Tell that to the Ferrarri I passed at 107 ;)

Trev, something is definitely up with the bike.

It's a Cruiser and should sit comfortably at 70 all day. Might be a bit struggly on the rider if you don't have a windshield, but a few weeks of riding like that will build the muscles til you can sit all day at 85+.

Went out no my 93 virago a few days ago and it wouldnt go over 55 (up hill in wind ) and 70 0n the flat think it must be resricted. ill defo be looking in to it. I dont think my build will be slowing it down about 14 stone and 5.9 :lol:

Im a wee bit heavier than that and my 535 sits comfortably at 75 and has reached the blinding spped of 87 downhill and downwind, might have got more but ran out of dual carridgeway.

The bike sat in my mates garage for a long time and when i got it it was running like a pig, would not get above 55. Fitted new carb diaphrams and fitted a dyno kit, now its running so smooth.

Im a wee bit heavier than that and my 535 sits comfortably at 75 and has reached the blinding spped of 87 downhill and downwind, might have got more but ran out of dual carridgeway.

The bike sat in my mates garage for a long time and when i got it it was running like a pig, would not get above 55. Fitted new carb diaphrams and fitted a dyno kit, now its running so smooth.

Iv just got my bike on new years eve so dont know if it had been stood ill have a look tho.

Went out no my 93 virago a few days ago and it wouldnt go over 55 (up hill in wind ) and 70 0n the flat think it must be resricted. ill defo be looking in to it. I dont think my build will be slowing it down about 14 stone and 5.9 :lol:

Give it a full service, clean the carbs and everything else, replace anything worn. Works for mine.

Bikes like it when you tart them up ;)

To clean the carbs do you have to tacke them off and a part or would some carb cleaner sprayed in to them from the aire box help

Take 'em off, clean 'em out and reassemble.

The idea is to scrub out every single bit of grit and dirt from inside, so it's easiest and best to remove them, take them to a very clean place and make them clean.

Carb Cleaner spary is a must.

However, this is part of a full service anyway.

If you get a good mechanic (offer a few beers along with the cost of the service), they will show you how everything's done.

Take 'em off, clean 'em out and reassemble.

The idea is to scrub out every single bit of grit and dirt from inside, so it's easiest and best to remove them, take them to a very clean place and make them clean.

Carb Cleaner spary is a must.

However, this is part of a full service anyway.

If you get a good mechanic (offer a few beers along with the cost of the service), they will show you how everything's done.

Thanks, ill give it a try :rolleyes: