NEED HELP

plumber
This post is 5775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just got a 1988 Radian to teach my wife to ride. The bike was free. It has been sitting awhile. I drained and cleaned the gas tank and carbs. Now I can get it to start with the choke fully on, but as soon as I turn the choke off the bike dies. I know nothing about these type of bikes. Do I have a carb problem a timing problem or a valve adjustment problem? Dont know where to start. I did replace the needles, seats, and floats in the carbs. I did check the intake adaptors and they dont seam to be leaking. Like I said the bike was free and I really dont want to take it to a shop, and I also enjoy working on thses type of things. Any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just got a 1988 Radian to teach my wife to ride. The bike was free. It has been sitting awhile. I drained and cleaned the gas tank and carbs. Now I can get it to start with the choke fully on, but as soon as I turn the choke off the bike dies. I know nothing about these type of bikes. Do I have a carb problem a timing problem or a valve adjustment problem? Dont know where to start. I did replace the needles, seats, and floats in the carbs. I did check the intake adaptors and they dont seam to be leaking. Like I said the bike was free and I really dont want to take it to a shop, and I also enjoy working on thses type of things. Any suggestions?

Make sure you got the idle passages clean when you cleaned the carbs as that will keep it from idling. At that age the o-ring around the idle mix screws may have deteriorated and need replaced, this may be hard to find depending on the carb.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online