Jump to content

jason taylor

Supporter
  • Content Count

    10
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About jason taylor

  • Rank
    Member

Previous Fields

  • Current Bike(s)
    Yamaha XVS 125 Dragstar, Yamaha SR 125

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    South East London
  1. Forgot to update this! Just for anyone else having similar issues... mine was a very stupid one. I hadnt noticed that the ridge that the camshaft pully sits on had actually worn down (maybe the camchain had been overtentioned?) and as a result was pivoting on the woodruff key, essentially causing variable valve timing! I'll get round to swapping it out one day but for now it shall sit in the back garden. In the meantime i've upgraded to a Yamaha XVS 125 dragstar which has a fraction of the miles and is so much more bike for the money!. Thank you again everyone!
  2. Haha yeah sorry i'm just frustrated, been trying to get this bike running almost every weekend since February! I'm based down in southeast London (SE9 area) Maybe i should push it to the nearest motorbike garage which is about 1 mile away and see if they can suss whats happening. I refuse to be defeated by a damn machine!
  3. Hey everyone... So, i think i've now officially given up... Finally had the the parts arrive and went to work... lapped both valves with rough, then fine paste which removed all carbon deposits. tipped the head upside down and put fuel in the bowl, no leak. yay! fitted new stem seals just to be safe, rebuilt it back up, set valve clearances back to the manual specs... fresh head gasket (again!) etc... Decided to do a compression test once all was assembled... STILL EXACTLY THE SAME! reading around 70 PSI!... I'm now genuinely lost. it's got a new piston, wi
  4. Just an update: Compression tester finally arrived, and lo and behold, its only reading 70psi. (mr haynes tells me is should be a minimum of 114psi) Retried again with a squirt of oil through the plug hole, still reading 70psi. So! logically... it's not piston or cylinder (its new, with rings, and fresh hone) as the squirt of oil made no difference. I've already tried a brand new head gasket. All bolts etc... torqued to haynes manual specs. So logically it's gotta be the valves. Just pulled the head off the bike again and waiting for the remainder of oil to drain
  5. R1Junky - I'm pretty sure the camchain is fine... it has very good tension and everything seems to match up nicely at TDC on compression stroke. I thought maybe the valve just hadnt been done up tightly. not sure! One thing that tripped me up though was my bike has an automatic camchain tensioner which isnt mentioned in the haynes manual, but after some research they were apparently added in the later models. (mine is a 2003 which is the last year of manufacture) is there an easy way to check the CDI? Airhead - Yep! I sprayed carb cleaner in through point A and it came st
  6. So! I put the carb back on the bike, but it still had the same problem. I thought maybe i hadnt waited long enough with the carb cleaner so took it off and blasted through every possible orifice to make sure its all clean. Upon putting it back together i somehow snapped the main jet (really didn't turn it that hard!) so i've ordered the new one. While i wait for that to arrive i'm going to inspect those valves... any good references i should follow? i find the haynes manual quite limiting... Cheers again! Jay
  7. Wow! i wish i'd checked back sooner, weren't expecting such a quick response! Blackhat - I've just taken the carb back off and i'm looking at the float bowl... found the well so i'm spraying carb cleaner down it just incase i missed it when i cleaned it last time. (using it again on all jets etc... just to make sure) so will report back once i've stuck it back on the bike. Airhead - yep, choke had no effect at all but then again i had no idle to properly test it with. I'm blasting it with carb cleaner and if that doesnt work i might stick it in an ultrasonic bath. Jim R - I'll tes
  8. Hey everyone! So! i've been lurking here for ages, reading just about everything about my bike for the past year or so, but alas, i am stuck. (it was about time i signed up and said hi anyways!) I feel like i've tried just about everything so i am at your mercy! it's a long one so i apologize, and it was my first experience really working on the bike! So to start at the beginning... Around November (the last time i rode it) the bike was starting to sound a little rough. Sounded a bit like knocking on the engine, but otherwise started first try and had no visible exha
  9. Hi Everyone! I'm a new member from Southeast London and ride a 2003 SR 125 (a very pretty red one ) I've been lurking on this forum for the past year or so for the words of wisdom (you guys are great!) but alas! I have somehow buggered the bike and thought it's time i step into the light. I'll post the actual problem in the workshop section but just thought i'd finally say hey! HEY! Jason
×
×
  • Create New...