2 post in one
I have just been given a bike and its an FZ750 i am planning on trying to get it running as it has sat in a shed for 17 years,, i do like a challenge, though i will need help.
The good -- Has compression and all parts attached it a complete bike
The bad -- has not run for 17 years & radiator core is broken
This weekend i pulled the tank and splashed some fuel down the carbs, hooked up the car battery (not running) and hit the starter. engine turning over but not cranking. it sounded like the starter was spinning so pulled the alternator and then the starter and check the starter gears teeth, All good all there (relief :)).
I then splashed some more and just let it turn over for a while soon enough it start ti=o turn and in fact did kick a little (big smile). at that moment i connected an ancillary tank (plastic bottle of fuel) connected it to the carbs and hit the starter. At this point the carbs spat the fuel back at me fro the 1st air vent tube from the left side. NO matter what i did the carbs squirted out the air vent tube... so now with a flat car battery and a sad face i called it a day and looked on line for some answers. So with some research and found that this happens with old carbs as all the internals stick and the carbs flood very easily.
The next morning stripped the carbs of the bike cleaned with some degreaser, and removed the float bowls expecting to see sticking floats and grime. really it was pretty clean (possible to all the fuel that has recently went through it.. I then continued with stripping the carbs floats and diaphragm's and the other internals, Needle and seat etc, and let them soak in kerosene to remove all grime (i chose kerosene as it is safe on the o-rings), and the body went in the tub of degreaser for a longer bath.
This is where i am currently at...
1. Drained oil heavy smell of gas, and refilled with new oil
2. Removed Radiator as to get to the Sparks plugs (there must be an easier way)
3. Unfortunately all 4 Diaphragms had small holes so got some Gasket sealant Oil and Gas resistant flexible stuff, and used a paint brush to applied it on both sides (youtube). now carbs work perfectly,,,
4. Still spins and cranks/sometimes but more spinning than cranking need to sort this out..
Well, have had some free time of late and have been able to play with this project bike a little more.
I been trying to free up the starter clutch as I have read and been told that some time theses can stick, and slip causing what I have been experiencing when starting.
So today I drained the oil and forced pumped in the oil via the starter motor hole and then tried to start it again unfortunately without and real success. Told my self that the only way is now to pull it have have a look. so today I set out to remove the engine.
I have been told this was possible with one person and completed by myself quite easy with my trolley, Car stand and Jack and a little time to check things...
Preparing the bike - Removing the bits and pieces and then the Engine.....
Now,, The fun will begin, time to open it up........