Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Hill runner-up in San Diego

Josh Hill in San Diego
GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d1ad182b
Josh Hill in San Diego
Yamaha San Manuel LandM Team's Josh Hill scored his fourth consecutive podium result and his second runner-up position in a week at a wet Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego for the fourth round of seventeen in the AMA Supercross series, also an FIM World Championship. The visit to southern California was a good one for Yamaha and the 2010 YZ450F as Valli Motorsports' Ivan Tedesco rode to third place for his first piece of silverware of the season. Joe Gibbs Racing's Justin Brayton steered the third YZ inside the top five to a personal-best of 5th spot. Mike Bell won the first San Diego SX on a Yamaha 30 years ago and Hill tried his best to add another garland in what was the 28th Main Event in the city. He was part of a five rider dice across a slippery and rutted track caused by rainfall. While Davi Millsaps would eventually become the fourth different winner in the first five outings of the championship, Hill rode smartly to hold off the attentions of Tedesco and continue his impressive consistency since climbing aboard the YZ450F and joining the LandM crew. 'I felt really good out there but I spent way too much time trying to pass Ivan and I think that let Davi get away a bit too far for the time I had left,' he said. 'I just coming into every week thinking about doing my best and so far that's working but I haven't won one yet. I hope to soon, and I really think I will, but I just need to put everything together at the same time.'
Ivan Tedesco at the Qualcomm
Ivan Tedesco at the Qualcomm
'I'm happy that I finally got on the box because I've been close this year but haven't gotten up here until now,' said Tedesco. 'I'm pumped, though. This is some momentum that I can build on for next week before we head east.' In the West Coast Lites category British teenager and rookie Max Anstie took a career-best 4th position on the YZ250F, one rank ahead of Broc Tickle. The American is currently 4th in the points table.
Max Anstie
Max Anstie
Hill has gained ground on SX standings leader Ryan Dungey who could only finish 6th. The Yamaha man is just four points from the lead of the competitive AMA contest and is flying the flag for the team with defending champion James Stewart on the sidelines with a broken right scaphoid. Tedesco is 5th and Brayton 6th. 'I'm pumped to be that close in points now but I know Dungey isn't going to keep having these weekends, so I need to win soon,' commented Hill. Round six goes back to the Angel Stadium, Anaheim in Los Angeles next week for the third and final visit of the 2010 calendar.

Crowd: 51, 843 Weather: Wet

Lap Record: 0'47.448 (James Stewart, 01/01/2006) Last Years Winner: James Stewart

2010 AMA-SX San Diego, CA 07/02/2010

Race 1 - 20 Laps
Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time
1 David D Millsaps Honda USA 18'27.078
2 Josh Hill Yamaha USA 0'03.696
3 Ivan Tedesco Yamaha USA 0'04.983
4 Ryan Villopoto Kawasaki USA 0'26.210
5 Justin Brayton Yamaha USA 0'29.377
6 Ryan Dungey Suzuki USA 0'30.048
7 Thomas Hahn Yamaha USA 0'39.073
8 Grant Langston Yamaha RSA 0'41.504
9 Nicholas Wey Kawasaki USA 0'44.469