Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Haga Third Fastest and Top Yamaha Rider At Misano

Noriyuki Haga was once more the fastest Yamaha qualifier at an official SBK test, and had he not found another rider in his path when running qualifying rubber in the final afternoon session, he may even have had the chance to improve his 1'33.870 best. Troy Bayliss (Ducati) was once more the rider leaving a test session with the fastest time, a new track record 1'33.317. Haga, who had tested new triple clamps and rear suspension linkages on his R1, decided not to continue in the very last moments of the two day test, thanks to the residue left on the track surface after an oil spill at the first corner. He thus had to rely on his best time from the morning session, rather than the final one. Haga's team-mate Andrew Pitt was a top ten rider on his R1, working steadily through revised engine mapping and also losing out on a final chance to set a faster time than his 1'34.469. Times in general were tight, with 14 riders covered by just over a single second, from second to 15th place. A strong ride in the final session from Sebastien Gimbert, on his Yamaha Motor France Ipone R1, put him 11th fastest, a particularly fine performance from a rider who had not ridden at Misano for 11 years. Norick Abe continued to find Misano a difficult challenge on his Yamaha Motor France Ipone R1, with his efforts to go faster often met by stubborn resistance on the tight and twist Misano layout. World Superbike rookie Shinichi Nakatomi was 20th out of 27 riders at Misano, during his first visit to the Italian circuit, which forms the venue for round six of the championships on 25 June. Noriyuki Haga - Yamaha Motor Italia "The balance of the bike was good today and I decided to test a soft tyre. I found Kagayama in front of me but without that happening I think I could have set a lap time closer to Bayliss. When the circuit got covered in oil and then cement dust we decided to stop, so I could not use a soft tyre in the afternoon session." Andrew Pitt - Yamaha Motor Italia "It would have been nice to be further up the list but I just didn't put it together on a qualifying tyre. On race tyres the bike was good and we improved it a lot. The bike is much the same as Valencia, which is a good thing. We don't need to change it much now, which is what we've been looking for for a while. We tuned in the electronics a bit more, to make it even easier to open the throttle earlier. It was all pretty good." Sebastien Gimbert - Yamaha Motor France "All the team worked very hard and the bike was very good compared to the races in Qatar and Australia. For me it was not so hard to get the bike working well here and set some fast times around the circuit. I am very content with the progress and the good work we have all made." Norick Abe - Yamaha Motor France "We tried out many things. Last year I raced here and it was the first time for me. It was the worst race of the year, and this time it still felt no good. So maybe I don't like this track. Step-by-step we did better than before, but compared to most other riders it was not so good. Despite that, I think we are two seconds better than last year. The tyres are much better than last year as well. But I would like to forget this Misano test and just get to Valencia." Shinichi Nakatomi - Yamaha Motor France "I have never been here before so it was important to test and make a race set-up for when we come back in June. It is a very different track, with three fast left hand corners onto the back straight. We worked a lot, and I did 162 laps to learn the circuit better."  Massimo Meregalli - Team Coordinator Yamaha Motor Italia "We had a plan and we got all out work done, the only thing we could not do was to go out at the end on soft tyres, because of the dust on the track. But the test was good. The only question mark we have now is the temperature of the track when we return for the race in June. We hope that for the race the bike's performance, which was very good here, is the same." OFFICIAL SBK TESTS WSB: Circuit: Misano Adriatico Circuit Length: 4.060km Temp: 16ºC Weather: Sunny Lap Record: 1' 34.913 (Troy Bayliss, 2002) Fastest Lap Ever: 1' 33.317 (Troy Bayliss, 2006) Date: 12-13 April 2006 Classification: Pos. Rider Manufacturer Nat. 1st Qualifying 1 T. Bayliss Ducati AUS 1' 33.317 2 T. Corser Suzuki AUS 1' 33.824 3 N. Haga Yamaha JPN 1' 33.870 4 L. Lanzi Ducati ITA 1' 33.933 5 C. Walker Kawasaki GBR 1' 33.984 6 R. Laconi Kawasaki ITA 1' 34.085 7 F. Nieto Kawasaki ESP 1' 34.181 8 Y. Kagayama Suzuki JPN 1' 34.266 9 R. Xaus Ducati ESP 1' 34.315 10 A. Pitt Yamaha AUS 1' 34.469 11 S. Gimbert Yamaha FRA 1' 34.618 12 F. Foret Suzuki FRA 1' 34.660 13 A. Barros Honda BRA 1' 34.683 14 M. Fabrizio Honda ITA 1' 34.852 15 S. Martin Petronas AUS 1' 34.862 19 N. Abe Yamaha JPN 1' 35.574 20 S. Nakatomi Yamaha JPN 1' 35.684 Parkes quickest ever at Misano Misano Adriatico, Italy 13/4/2006 Yamaha Motor Germany rider Broc Parkes finished the second official test of the 2006 WSS season at the top of the timing sheets, with a new Supersport circuit record of 1'36.411 to his credit. His team-mate Kevin Curtain was fourth quickest, having set his fastest lap on the first day of testing, concentrating most of his efforts on machine set-up in preparation for the Misano WSS race in June. In addition to the regular set-up work on the all-new R6 machine carried out by the team, new and existing specifications of Pirelli control tyres were worked through by both Yamaha Motor Germany riders, with Parkes pleased to see the return of his favourite front tyre at this test. Yamaha Team Italia rider Gianluca Vizziello was an impressive third fastest overall, his best of 1'36.892 set in the very last of four Supersport sessions. He was one of three riders under the previous circuit best of former Yamaha rider Simone Sanna during the last session of the Misano test. Christian Zaiser (Ducati) was second fastest, with Vizziello's team-mate, Massimo Roccoli, sixth. Broc Parkes - Yamaha Motor Germany "On top today and happy. The bike was awesome. The main difference for me today was the front tyre, that and getting to know the bike a lot better. At the end of last year we had a particular front tyre that I really liked but for some reason it was not in the allocation for the first races, but for me, as soon as I get it, I can go. This is also a pretty enjoyable track to ride around." Kevin Curtain - Yamaha Motor Germany "This was a very good test for us, and we made the bike a lot better than it was last time we rode. We worked through heaps of stuff on the bike and a whole lot of front and rear tyres. There are no prizes for pole position at a test so I am not bothered about setting the fastest time. The main thing was improving the whole package, and we did that." Gianluca Vizziello - Yamaha Team Italia "Today's performance was the result of some very good development work. At the first two races of the year we had not had the bikes for very long, so most of the engine work was done just before the Valencia tests. Then is Spain we must have tried about ten different settings on the suspension, to find the best. We have put all the best parts together now and the bike was great at this test. I like Misano very much and the whole team did a very good job." Official Misano Test WSS Circuit: Misano Adriatico Circuit Length: 4.060km Lap Record: 1' 37.924 (Katsuaki Fujiwara, 2003) Fastest Lap Ever: 1' 36.411 (Broc Parkes, 2006) Date: 12 - 13 April 2006 Temp: 16ºC Classification: Pos. Rider Manufacturer Nat. Best Time 1 B. Parkes Yamaha AUS 1' 36.411 2 C. Zaiser Ducati AUT 1' 36'507 3 G. Vizziello Yamaha ITA 1' 36.892 4 K. Curtain Yamaha AUS 1' 36.927 5 K. Fujiwara Honda JPN 1'37.339 6 M. Roccoli Yamaha ITA 1' 37.372 7 G. Nannelli Ducati ITA 1' 37'483 8 Y. Tibero Honda FRA 1' 37.682 9 D. Checa Yamaha FRA 1'37.745 10 A. Aldrovandi Honda ITA 1'38.238 11 M. Sanchini Yamaha ITA 1' 38.433 12 G. Leblanc Honda FRA 1'38.553 13 S. Chambon Kawasaki FRA 1'38.719 14 J. Brookes Ducati AUS 1'38.756 15 T. Tunstall Hoinda GBR 1'38.775 16 M. Berger Kawasaki FRA 1' 39.214 17 M. Praia Honda POR 1'39.385 18 L. Nedog Ducati SLO 1'39.585

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.