Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Crutchlow and Toseland make progress at Phillip Island

Cal Crutchlow
 height=
Cal Crutchlow
Yamaha Sterilgarda World Superbike riders Cal Crutchlow and James Toseland made a purposeful start to the first race weekend of the season today at the Phillip Island circuit. The riders faced a day of serious heat with track temperatures hitting 45°C. Having now solved the chatter issues that dominated the test last week, both Crutchlow and Toseland spent both the practice and qualifying sessions exploring the limits of the 2010 bike. With significant power increases across the rev range through off-season engine development, this was the first real opportunity for the riders to experience the changes and work on the set up of their bikes in advance of race day. The high track temperatures drastically reduced grip on the track surface, causing Toseland to lose the back end of his R1 in turn 11, becoming one of seven riders to fall in the session. He was unhurt and came back out on his second bike. One of the developments of the bike for 2010 include a lighter carbon fuel tank, this was changed to the heavier 2009 tank for today's sessions, seeming to help eliminate the chatter issue. Cal Crutchlow, Yamaha Sterilgarda World Superbike Team (10th 1'33.038) "I think we've worked hard and got rid of the chatter problem. The 2009 parts that we've used seem to have helped us in that way. The tank and the seat unit seemed to have stopped the chatter now. If you look at our times, although we're not initially fastest straight away we've got consistency across the sessions. We've got some more areas to work on and I'm looking forward to making the bike even better tomorrow. We've got a good direction to work in, it was just a little unfortunate that the track temperature was so hot today. Even so we were still doing the same times as Ben's race pace from last year. Hopefully it will cool off over the next couple of days and work better for us."
 height=
James Toseland
James Toseland
James Toseland, Yamaha Sterilgarda World Superbike Team (13th 1'33.422) "Unfortunately had a big crash today coming out of the penultimate corner which didn't help things. I did go back out on the other bike but had a pain in my hand so came in as I wanted to make sure it was ok. We're definitely making improvements, we've just had a lot to do in one day to work through the package. We're only a bit over a second off pole now so we'll focus down and keep moving forward tomorrow." Massimo Meregalli, Yamaha Sterilgarda World Superbike Team Manager "Today we rode two practice sessions without chattering which is a very good improvement, so now the riders have to find the limits of the 2010 bike. Last weekend they couldn't as the chatter held them back. Looking at this as the first day I think we've improved quite a lot. Unfortunately James crashed but he is fine, so we will see what they can both do tomorrow."

Circuit Length: 4445 Weather: Hot

Lap Record: 1'32.402 (Troy Bayliss, 01/01/2006) Fastest Lap Ever: 1'31.069 (Ben Spies, 01/03/2009) Last Years Winner: Ben Spies

2010 WSB Australia - Phillip Island 26/02/2010
Qualifying 1
Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time
1 Carlos Checa Ducati ESP 1'32.155
2 Michel Fabrizio Ducati ITA 1'32.162
3 Leon Haslam Suzuki GBR 1'32.373
4 Shane Byrne Ducati GBR 1'32.635
5 Noriyuki Haga Ducati JPN 1'32.703
6 Max Biaggi Aprilia ITA 1'32.850
7 Jonathan Rea Honda GBR 1'32.884
8 Sylvain Guintoli Suzuki FRA 1'32.902
9 Jakub Smrz Ducati CZE 1'32.905