Yamaha dt175mx

JEZ
This post is 5073 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

im new to this type of thing so please bear with me. I have recently purchased (yesterday) a restored yamaha dt175, the bike has matching engine and frame numbers and is all original. The problem i have is when the guy was restoring it his wife threw out the reg plate and he cant find the v5 anywere. Is there anyway i can find out the original registration from the engine and frame numbers? d.v.l.a. are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Any help would be real good.

jez

• 6 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone

im new to this type of thing so please bear with me. I have recently purchased (yesterday) a restored yamaha dt175, the bike has matching engine and frame numbers and is all original. The problem i have is when the guy was restoring it his wife threw out the reg plate and he cant find the v5 anywere. Is there anyway i can find out the original registration from the engine and frame numbers? d.v.l.a. are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Any help would be real good.

jez

HI JEZ, Im in a similar position to yourself, I have a dt175mx which was used off road for a while and has no reg or v5, I assume that you tried to get a V5 using a V62 form ?,

I would like to restore mine to original could you let me know if you got it sorted (or not ?), cheers 3DTEES.

• 2 weeks later...

hi lads in the same situation as you both. got a dt 175 no keys no loogbook and no number plate need to apply. phoned the dvla but like you said no help what so ever. sending me forms out to fill in . please could you let me now how you got on. same here i will let you know once the forms are field in just hope it dont go on a Q plate. want to get on and paint the bike now . cheers lads and goodluck

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

jez

Hi Jez, These bikes are classics and as such the DVLA should be going the extra mile to accomodate you, Have you thought of joining/asking the VJMCC they must have lots of experience and good advice for you on this.

• 10 months later...

Hello.

Having previously done this with a DTR125 in the 90's when I was a teenager, I recently bought a DT125MX field bike with the intention of restoring it to road use. I applied to DVLA for the log book in the same way you did, and got the same help you did. Unless you have the VIN/Chassis Number / Engine Number and Registration number, the DVLA will not issue a V5.

Having spoken with my local dealer, he asked if I'd tried contacting Yamaha UK to see if they had recorded the Registration number, as it was likely that my machine was first registered by Yamaha. I contacted, them and a very nice lady informed me that they did keep records of the vehicles they first registered, and if I wrote to them, they would reply with the registration number given to my bike at import. There was no cost whatsoever.

I faxed a letter through from work one day, and a letter was faxed back from Yamaha the next day giving me the reg number.

I do not know the age of your bike, but it might be worth a try. Mine was bought as an 1980 model, but when I eventually got the registration number it was in fact a 1983 'Y' plate.

I too contamplated going to my local licencing centre, but the thought of having lovely restored my bike to pristine condition, and not being able to get an age related plate, frightened me to death. I also considered that my bike might have ended up being a field bike for a reason, i.e., it had been 'borrowed'. I do know of someone who did a similar exercise with a bike, and upon inspecting the bike at the local licencing centre, it was found that it had been stolen at some point in its life, and was still listed as missing, and the bike was subsequently confiscated. Not only that, he got his collar felt by the plod.

Unless you're confident that your machine is 'straight' I would err on caution, and would avoid the SRA test unless you really have to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Having previously done this with a DTR125 in the 90's when I was a teenager, I recently bought a DT125MX field bike with the intention of restoring it to road use. I applied to DVLA for the log book in the same way you did, and got the same help you did. Unless you have the VIN/Chassis Number / Engine Number and Registration number, the DVLA will not issue a V5.

Having spoken with my local dealer, he asked if I'd tried contacting Yamaha UK to see if they had recorded the Registration number, as it was likely that my machine was first registered by Yamaha. I contacted, them and a very nice lady informed me that they did keep records of the vehicles they first registered, and if I wrote to them, they would reply with the registration number given to my bike at import. There was no cost whatsoever.

I faxed a letter through from work one day, and a letter was faxed back from Yamaha the next day giving me the reg number.

I do not know the age of your bike, but it might be worth a try. Mine was bought as an 1980 model, but when I eventually got the registration number it was in fact a 1983 'Y' plate.

I too contamplated going to my local licencing centre, but the thought of having lovely restored my bike to pristine condition, and not being able to get an age related plate, frightened me to death. I also considered that my bike might have ended up being a field bike for a reason, i.e., it had been 'borrowed'. I do know of someone who did a similar exercise with a bike, and upon inspecting the bike at the local licencing centre, it was found that it had been stolen at some point in its life, and was still listed as missing, and the bike was subsequently confiscated. Not only that, he got his collar felt by the plod.

Unless you're confident that your machine is 'straight' I would err on caution, and would avoid the SRA test unless you really have to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

i too have a early dt in early stages of restoring but i have not got a reg for it.

you said you contacted yamaha uk and they were very helpful and they gave you a reg for your bike/

i was wondering if you have got their contact address so i could hopefully get a reg for mine.

my bike has got matching engine and frame numbers.

gheers jim

all yous guys if yuo cannot get the reed number from yamaha then get VJMC or yamaha to give you a dating certificate stating the year of manufacture and you will get en age related plate, go too the VJMC website too find out more, it will have to be taken too a DVLA office to be inspected, dont worry it is not a tough mot thing iti s just to check the bike is what you say it is, they check the frame and engine numbers are correct

• 11 months later...

******I GOT A RESULT******

FOR THE PRINCELY SUM OF £25 SCOTTISH/ENGLISH POUNDS THE DVLA WILL DO A SEARCH ON YOUR SUPPLIED FRAME & ENGINE NUMBERS IF IT COMES BACK A MATCH ON THE SYSTEM YOU WILL GET A V5 DOC NO PROBLEMS, NO NEED TO INVOLVE THE VJMC OR GET AN AGE RELATED PLATE AS IT CAN GET EXPENSIVE VERY QUICKLY, IN MY CASE I HAD A NICE USA IMPORT DT175MX BUT NO PAPERS, I BOUGHT A TOTAL WRECK UK FIELDBIKE DTMX FOR 45 NOTES, VOILA........... ONE NEW V5 IN MY NAME, BIT OF WORK INVOLVED BUT IT MADE A NICE BIKE , REGARDS 3DTEES

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online