1981 XS250 VALVE CLEARANCES (HELP)

EACRUISER
This post is 6585 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anyone tell me the Valve clearances for a 1981 xs 250.

I am new to the bike scene (L-plater) and the XS250 i bought is making a bit of noise from the valves.

Just wanting to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

Most of the noise is coming from the Exhaust side of the head.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can anyone tell me the Valve clearances for a 1981 xs 250.

I am new to the bike scene (L-plater) and the XS250 i bought is making a bit of noise from the valves.

Just wanting to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

Most of the noise is coming from the Exhaust side of the head.

inlet 00.8 - 0.12 mm

exhaust 0.16 - 0.20 mm

drew

inlet 00.8 - 0.12 mm

exhaust 0.16 - 0.20 mm

Thankyou Drew.

I will check them tonight.

Also, to change the Spark Plug Leads do i need to take the tank off.

--> also if i need to take the tank off, where are the bolts for the tank.

I found the one under the front of the seat, but i cant find anymore and the tank doesn't want to budge.

inlet 00.8 - 0.12 mm

exhaust 0.16 - 0.20 mm

Thankyou Drew.

I will check them tonight.

Also, to change the Spark Plug Leads do i need to take the tank off.

--> also if i need to take the tank off, where are the bolts for the tank.

I found the one under the front of the seat, but i cant find anymore and the tank doesn't want to budge.

you might not be able to replace the leads, because they can be glued into the coil, depends on the model.

As for tank, one bolt at the back and "wiggle" the tank towards the back, lifting the rear of tank by couple inches. watch out as it will let go very quickly (held on with rubber "bungs" into frame) it will be easier to do the valves with the tank off.

PS don't forget to undo the vacum and petrol pipe from the tank first.

As for tank, one bolt at the back and "wiggle" the tank towards the back, lifting the rear of tank by couple inches. watch out as it will let go very quickly (held on with rubber "bungs" into frame) it will be easier to do the valves with the tank off.

A little pointer: Maybe spray down those rubber "bungs" with Armour-All before reassembly....

Makes the rubber last longer & that tank will slide on quite nicely. ;)

Thanks Drew and Yamahead,

Your help is appreciated.

I will have a go tonight. I am trying to fix it up before i start doing some serious riding to practice before i take my advanced riders test. I still have a few months before i need to take the test, while i am on my L-Plates.

I have been riding it around like that for a few months now and the noises have only started in the last 3 weeks or so.

The spark plugs need to be changed as the outer coating is cracked and if i don't pull the leads away from the head once in a while, while out riding i loose power and the bike rolls to a stop. I beleive its the leads earthing on the head which is causing this, so that is why i need to replace them.

I can only hope that the leads are not glued into the coil.

Also, do you know why occasionally the kick start doesn't mesh on my bike. There have been occasions where i left the headlight on without realising it :rolleyes: and i couldn't kickstart the bike because it just wouldn't mesh. I tried leaning the bike to the side, put it in gear and moved it forward a bit then out of gear and tried again, still nothing. ANY IDEAS????

I also don't trust any of the motorbike mechanics in my area in the North of South Australia. As i took my bike to the only one around to get the tyres changed and the rear wheel wasn't tracking right after that.

My Auntie (A Yamaha Freak) came for a 3hour bike ride to help me re-align the wheel and it's a bit far to keep getting her to ride up and help me with what she calls the slug.

I will probably keep this bike for a while after i am off my L's then upgrade to a larger bike that is more suited to my size. (I am 6'4" and 93kgs) so it is sort of working the poor little thing. and i make the bike look like a PW50 because of how big i am. But that is one of the biggest bikes the law states i can ride down here,

so i will keep riding it until i get off my L's.

Thanks Drew and Yamahead,

Your help is appreciated.

I will have a go tonight. I am trying to fix it up before i start doing some serious riding to practice before i take my advanced riders test. I still have a few months before i need to take the test, while i am on my L-Plates.

I have been riding it around like that for a few months now and the noises have only started in the last 3 weeks or so.

The spark plugs need to be changed as the outer coating is cracked and if i don't pull the leads away from the head once in a while, while out riding i loose power and the bike rolls to a stop. I beleive its the leads earthing on the head which is causing this, so that is why i need to replace them.

I can only hope that the leads are not glued into the coil.

Also, do you know why occasionally the kick start doesn't mesh on my bike. There have been occasions where i left the headlight on without realising it :rolleyes: and i couldn't kickstart the bike because it just wouldn't mesh. I tried leaning the bike to the side, put it in gear and moved it forward a bit then out of gear and tried again, still nothing. ANY IDEAS????

I also don't trust any of the motorbike mechanics in my area in the North of South Australia. As i took my bike to the only one around to get the tyres changed and the rear wheel wasn't tracking right after that.

My Auntie (A Yamaha Freak) came for a 3hour bike ride to help me re-align the wheel and it's a bit far to keep getting her to ride up and help me with what she calls the slug.

I will probably keep this bike for a while after i am off my L's then upgrade to a larger bike that is more suited to my size. (I am 6'4" and 93kgs) so it is sort of working the poor little thing. and i make the bike look like a PW50 because of how big i am. But that is one of the biggest bikes the law states i can ride down here,

so i will keep riding it until i get off my L's.

I assume you mean spark plug leads and not spark plugs :P

You can always unscrew the plug caps and get some shrink tubing from electronics store (Maplin out there?) then shrink it on the leads with a heat gun.

As regards the kick-start, iv'e seen the gear mesh inside the casings sheared off before now, so it could mean an engine strip. Just bump start it, you sound like a big boy :D

If your really keen, take off the right casing cover a check the kickstart shaft as it enters into the gearbox, you should be able to see it to confirm condition.

as to the noises on your bike, I assume you have changed the oil and filter within the last 1000 miles?

Yeah i meant Spark Plug Leads. :D

I had the oil changed the same time the tires were replaced. But i still don't trust the Mechanic got even that right so i might take out the oil he put in there and replace it with some good stuff.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online