shopping for mid-1970's Yamaha Enduro, what to watch out for?

threeputt
This post is 3663 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Old story I suppose, I had a 1975 Yamaha Enduro (DT) 125 when I was a teenager. Loved that bike. I've been keeping my eyes open for another - not a museum queen, rather a nice solid example that I plan to plate and ride. 125, 175, 250, either would suit my purpose, but what I'm hoping to learn is some of the pitfalls to watch out for. Even back when I owned one as a kid, I was never very knowledgeable on these things. My dad kept an eye on us and the bike was very reliable. Aside from the obvious, I'm looking for some key points to consider when shopping around. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jeff (newb)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Best bet is a DT175. Great mix of parts availability and keeping up with traffic. The 250 and 400 are harder to find parts for and the 250 is no faster.

Look for one that has not been messed with or customised parts fitted.

• Like 1

As he says" go for the bigger cc"s . as you"l have gained weight since 1975 . :hungry: . The 125 is rather slow compared with modern 125"s

Heres mine :rolleyes:

DT125038.jpg

• Like 1

BOUGHT IT! Man the smell and sound takes me back. I'll try and get a few photos up as soon as the weather improves and I can get it cleaned up a bit to snap a couple. It seems to be in really good shape, but the turn signals are gone. As soon as I can score a set, I'm planning on plating it and cruising around our small town. I hope there aren't any issues that aren't readily apparent. A friend of mine here used to run a Hodaka dealership back in the 70's and he's very familiar with old 2-strokes. I'm going to let him give it a good once-over and see what it needs.

Jeff

• Like 1

How old put" is it A DT1 ..[69] or a dt2 :headbang: / crank seals will be only issues. this will show after shes hot,,, if idle creeps high.

Most likely built 74 ready to ship for the states.

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for more paperwork to get it plated, I've been poking around a bit. Something popped up that scares me - the oil filter support screen looks to be wrapped with a section of white athletic tube sock! It's oiled, mind you, and well greased on the ends to seal, but still LOL. Opinions on the K&N replacement filter YA-4074? http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=YA-4074

I could get a bag of socks for cheap LOL

Thanks, Jeff

Yeh jeff " i have K&N om my H2 .. and runs good, shouldn"t need jetting,,,,.what about some pics,,, :photo2:

Lovely jeff " i now have a hankering for the DT250 again,,, they were yellow in europe .. i had a Dt 400 in 2010

DSC00044.jpg

• Like 2

Believe it or not" there is little difference in performance , between the two fifty and four hundred. 400 tops 80mph 250- 75mph.

A bit more torque maybe,, :yeah:

Believe it or not" there is little difference in performance , between the two fifty and four hundred. 400 tops 80mph 250- 75mph. A bit more torque maybe,, :yeah:
True but when the 400 is slowly pulling away you wish you had the extra cubes. The twin shock models are so much prettier in the 250 and 400 range. There is a white 400 on uk fleabay at the moment I keep looking at but it is the monoshock. I am very tempted though!

I think you"d be quite dissapointed Newman" :eusa_snooty: i had the mono DT400 in 1980, i was beaten by an XT250, <_< ,,for top speed, i did hav a pillion

on ,, but we were both 11 stone,,,,

Cheers for the info John, I am never going to be 11 stone again :elephant:

The TS250 tops 70 so back to the drawing board. Maybe a TDR or get my RD400 on the road!

Half a sock! This would make jetting a nightmare. With a huge main jet it would probably be really rapid until it blew the piston.

How much did you have to pay the security guard to turn his back while you snuck it out the back door of the museum,thats one clean bike you found.Looks prety much original,doubt it seen much if any dirt,how many miles on her?

I dont think NOS signals are going to be easy to find but aftermarket copys should be easy,emgo used to make em,a couple of fork seals and seat cover and she's a driver.

Speaking of seats hows the base? They can get bad quick once the seat cover rips and water gets traped in there

• Like 1