78 250 CDI ignition

This post is 4785 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, am a newbie here and looking for some help if possible, this will probably be the first of many questions as im new to Yamaha in general, just bought a very rough 78 250, engine / frame no 2x9000137, im trying to get it running, problem is that 90% of the wiring has been removed, can anyone assist me by advising which colour wires from the CDI magneto need to go where to enable to get a spark at the plug, i am only interested in getting the engine running, will not be fitting any lights, I assume that with this system i do not need a battery to run the engine ?

Thanks for any help, and im sure i will be back with lots more questions !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, am a newbie here and looking for some help if possible, this will probably be the first of many questions as im new to Yamaha in general, just bought a very rough 78 250, engine / frame no 2x9000137, im trying to get it running, problem is that 90% of the wiring has been removed, can anyone assist me by advising which colour wires from the CDI magneto need to go where to enable to get a spark at the plug, i am only interested in getting the engine running, will not be fitting any lights, I assume that with this system i do not need a battery to run the engine ?

Thanks for any help, and im sure i will be back with lots more questions !

an intro in the noobs is the usual practice, ok it is a 78 250 but what model XS//DT/RD/TY

Merv

an intro in the noobs is the usual practice, ok it is a 78 250 but what model XS//DT/RD/TY

Merv

Hi Merv

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the intro, new to forums in general, the bike has no documents, i have searched the web for model / seial numbers but cannot seem to find a model that matches the age, the frame and engine number are 2x9000137 and the makers plate states a 78 model, so im a bit stumped right now

Thanks again for your response

Gordon

Could it be 2K9 that is the 1978 IT250

I cannot find a record of a 2X9 2X8 is it 400 1979 2x7 is it IT 250 1979 acording to what i can find

we make a cdi for the IT250. I'll see if we have a wiring diagram for it.

we make a cdi for the IT250. I'll see if we have a wiring diagram for it.

Thanks for the response, im late in writing back as i am in western Canada, just re-checked the numbers its definately 2x9000137 on both the frame and engine, manufactured in 9 / 78, on the lower right side of the cylinder base its stamped 246 cc, am trying to get a magneto flywheel puller to check points and condenser, looking through the 2 slots in the magneto i cant see any points but guess they are in there somewhere ?

Thanks again

Thanks for the response, im late in writing back as i am in western Canada, just re-checked the numbers its definately 2x9000137 on both the frame and engine, manufactured in 9 / 78, on the lower right side of the cylinder base its stamped 246 cc, am trying to get a magneto flywheel puller to check points and condenser, looking through the 2 slots in the magneto i cant see any points but guess they are in there somewhere ?

Thanks again

Can you post a few pictures of the bike? This would help!!

If its a1977/8 model. they were points, later models had Mitsibushi CDI [ FST 00172] unit, Look under side panel , beside battery, the CDI unit should be bolted there,

2X9 is a DT250F 1979

Thanks for all the replies, i contacted several Yamaha agents and one has confirmed as you say that the bike is a DT250F, the CDI box is missing so now looking for a used unit, will then need to find out which colour wires from the magneto unit go to the CDI box and coil,

Thanks again for all your help

We have the 00172 unit -new- for £77.00 plus £8.85 shipping to Canada. Comes with one year warranty.

I think that compares well to a second hand item that could be 20 years (plus) old.

We have the 00172 unit -new- for £77.00 plus £8.85 shipping to Canada. Comes with one year warranty.

I think that compares well to a second hand item that could be 20 years (plus) old.

Hi, Thanks for the info, i agree that is a good price, if i went ahead with a purchase could you assist with info re which colour wires i connect from the magneto / stator coils to the coil unit to obtain a spark, i am only interested in running the engine and not supplying power for lights etc

Do you accept PayPal ?

Thanks

Gordon

Hi, Thanks for the info, i agree that is a good price, if i went ahead with a purchase could you assist with info re which colour wires i connect from the magneto / stator coils to the coil unit to obtain a spark, i am only interested in running the engine and not supplying power for lights etc

Do you accept PayPal ?

Thanks

Gordon

That should be no problem running just the cdi with no lights, just leave the plugs from the generator that don't connect to the CDi un connected.

Yes we accept pay pal, you can also use a normal credit/debit card at the check out.

If you e-mail [email protected] we can send a money request.

Hi guys , the C.D.I Original part Number For DT250F . is 2N6-85540-21. I have wiring diagram on CD, tryed to copy and paste , but no go. if you can check this is the one your repro is matched for Speedshop. just to make shure, ;)

Hi guys , the C.D.I Original part Number For DT250F . is 2N6-85540-21. I have wiring diagram on CD, tryed to copy and paste , but no go. if you can check this is the one your repro is matched for Speedshop. just to make shure, ;)

The DT250F is different its the F8T800 box. This is our part number DT5

We don't have stock at present, lead time is approx 2 weeks.

I've been building a comprehensive data base for these bikes. I've started work on it you can see how far I've got on my website (link below). I'm about 50% there with the IT/DT/YZ/MX machines 73-82.

The DT250F is different its the F8T800 box. This is our part number DT5

We don't have stock at present, lead time is approx 2 weeks.

I've been building a comprehensive data base for these bikes. I've started work on it you can see how far I've got on my website (link below). I'm about 50% there with the IT/DT/YZ/MX machines 73-82.

Hi Guys

First of all Thanks very much for your help with this, i now need to think about what to do next, before buying a CDI box i need to be sure that i can install and wire it to produce a spark, the issue i have is that the bike has been robbed of all its wiring and connectors, so all i have are the wires coming out of the magneto / flywheel without a connector plug attached, the coil unit is present but no wire to it, i will try to locate a wiring diagram or perhaps another bike to copy the colour of wires and correct connections from Magneto to CDI box and then to coil unit.

will get back to you if i am succesfull !

Thanks once again

Gordon

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online