1978 dt400e with "no" spark at the plug

William Robb
This post is 4856 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got a 1978 DT400 E with no spark. When I purchased the bike "a BAD choice" it ran fine. The key switch was missing as well was the kill switch along with all the lights except for the headlight. I just bought the bike to use off road to keep an eye on my son as he learns to ride on his 78 YZ-80. The headlight was smashed and didn't work as well as the speedo or tach. So since I was going to just do off road I removed them. The plug to the headlight would not come off so I cut the wires at the back of the plug. Now this where my memory is foggy. I don't remember if I started the bike after this or not. So I took all the wires between the forks and made sure they were all capped off and not touching each other. So I'm not sure where to go next. Even my local dealer won't look at it. It's TOO old for them lol. It's a shame because I did a real nice job of restoring this bike. I did all the cosmetics and the bike looks great! So any help would be great.

Thanks!

Edited by drewpy
use the for sale section to advertise

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye william " you must trace wires to headlight, yours is the mono-shock DT400. its CDI, ignition , [ all dt400s were] gotta check the kill swich wires ,and all earths, are you in UK or USA, ?

Welcome by the way,

And jammer" that is that crazy link :unsure:

And jammer" that is that crazy link :unsure:

that's gonna be a standard reply for newbs who want us to help but don't follow nettiquet and fail to introduce themselves ;)

so I cut the wires at the back of the plug. Now this where my memory is foggy.

Seems crystal clear to me :rolleyes:

I got a 1978 DT400 E with no spark. When I purchased the bike "a BAD choice" it ran fine.......

.......... I cut the wires at the back of the plug. Now this where my memory is foggy.

Seems crystal clear to me :rolleyes:

Aye william " you must trace wires to headlight, yours is the mono-shock DT400. its CDI, ignition , [ all dt400s were] gotta check the kill swich wires ,and all earths, are you in UK or USA, ?

Welcome by the way,

And jammer" that is that crazy link :unsure: Thanks. I'll try to see if I can figure it all out. And from the U.S.

that's gonna be a standard reply for newbs who want us to help but don't follow nettiquet and fail to introduce themselves ;)

I apologize for my rudeness. I didn't know it was required. I'm from the US in southern NJ. I was just desperate for help to get this bike running so I can fulfill my promise to my son and go riding with him.

Have a look here William, to be frank even someone who has knowledge of the wiring will have difficulty helping you out over a forum, try posting some pictures of what you've 'snipped' and where, that might help, in the mean time have a look for your model in the link below , oh and good luck :)

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/20041-some-yam-wiring-diagrams/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online