virago 535 in a xvs 250 frame ?

littlepig
This post is 4860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

morning gentlemen , have the offer of a 535 lump and wondering if anyone can tell me if it would fit it in the xvs 250 frame ? any feedback\experirience would be much appreciated .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm doubtful.

IIRC, the 250 Drag is essentially a re-bored 125 engine - the 535 Virago engine was re-bored to create the 650 Drag.

I could be mis-informed, though...

Also, I'd be sceptical about putting a 535 engine into a bike only designed to carry a 250. It SHOULDN'T be a huge problem, but just be wary of the problems it may bring about. Questions such as:

Are the brakes good enough? Is the frame strong enough? etc, besides your original question - ''will it fit?''

I mean, it would be worth a project if you're doing it on the cheap and getting a nice cheap motor then I'd say go for it, just make sure ye don't overlook anything.

Chris

morning gentlemen , have the offer of a 535 lump and wondering if anyone can tell me if it would fit it in the xvs 250 frame ? any feedback\experirience would be much appreciated .

Aren't the 535 Viggies shaft drive? There may some engineering issues to solve there regarding conversion/access/alignments too. It may be possible to overcome the problems, but cost/time/facilities/experience need to be factored in too.

• 2 weeks later...

I ride a virago 535 and my wife rides a XVS 250.

The 535 is shaft driven so you would probably have to put the transmission in also. The frame on my wifes bike is a lot lighter and not as long. I didn't get a tape out to measure the clearances, but from a visual inspection, I don't think it would be an easy job. Not only does there not appear to be the clearance for the engine and the transmission but you would have to shorten the drive shaft. From a cost prospective it does not seem worth the effort to me.

I also agree with Christopher's comments. The brakes and the frame are a lot lighter. I think you are just asking for trouble. Also what would the impact be on your bike insurance? I know the cost would double here as insurance cost is based on engine cc's and the bike has been modified.

Rocky

it is possible BUT .....you would need to do sooooo much and change almost everything that its just not worth it, you might as well just go out and get a virago 535 bike.

if your looking for more power in the xvs 125/250 frame have a look for a 250 engine (it dont have to be a v twin) or you could even get a 2 stroke beast B) the engine iv got in mine is a 2004 cbr 125rr. Standard it pumps out the same as the original xvs 125 engine, but its lighter, more reliable, and you can get a big bore kit for about £250-300, oh plus its got a 6th gear.

but anything bigger than a 250-300cc your going to need to re-enforce the frame, then upgrade/replace the forks and sort out the brakes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online