clutch

gav dt
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thats incredible, how on earth can you get them so easily? dont you have to order them? what happens?... explain further!

ha ha ha yes i have to order them but as i have this problem i order 8 at a time ... when it goes i have no clutch what so ever and when i look at the rod i have taken out . it is about a centemeter shorter than it should be an it is pushed in at one end ......its fine when i replace it with a new one HELP

Theres something seriously wrong here, what year is your bike? is there a ball bearing at one end of the rod?

1987 i think no there is just a rubber stopper that slips over the rod when u push it in as far as i can see there is no ball bearing

1987 i think no there is just a rubber stopper that slips over the rod when u push it in as far as i can see there is no ball bearing

I am not familiar with your particular bike but my DT175 has a ball bearing at the end of the push rod, I dont see any reason why yours should be different, this may be the problem, here is a picture of mine, you can see what I mean here, we need to get a parts diagram for yours, what year is it?

DT175MXClutch.png

I am not familiar with your particular bike but my DT175 has a ball bearing at the end of the push rod, I dont see any reason why yours should be different, this may be the problem, here is a picture of mine, you can see what I mean here, we need to get a parts diagram for yours, what year is it?

DT175MXClutch.png

i think mine is 1989 its red an white origanaly

Have you got a manual, look in there, I'm sure there should be a ball bearing at the clutch end of the push rod

no i do not have a manual i only got the bike an no papers with it a manual is next on my list

no i do not have a manual i only got the bike an no papers with it a manual is next on my list

See you got your sig up now, but its too big mate, remove it and see below

Please can you ensure that any images in signatures do not exceed 80 pixels in height, this will make sure that threads are much easier to read.

Thanks

See you got your sig up now, but its too big mate, remove it and see below

Please can you ensure that any images in signatures do not exceed 80 pixels in height, this will make sure that threads are much easier to read.

Thanks

Hi OG,

this one I dont believe. DT50MX has a split push rod with a BB in the middle & the Rubber part being an oil seal, too loose a cm from the push rod would then put it inside the main shaft of the box if so you would also loose the gearbox oil from the rod not sealing against the oil seal. If the push rod is bending or snapping off clean with the crankcase this points to a worn crankcase cover and/or worm gear. Gav we need more info is the rod snapping off at the case hardend section or bending ? The rubber part/oil seal is a tight fit to the crankcase if this is comming out this may be a carnkcase problem (broken) due to the chain comming off at some time. I also need to know if the oil seal is orange or black in colour (orange being a mod), but I cannot get my head around someone firing push rods in at such sort intervals without looking at the cause.

Regards Jim

I can understand one of our more junior members banging in rods as a cure.

How many miles do each rod last, and where does the missing 1cm go are probably fairly pertinent questions.

(Hoping that the rod is compressed, not broken ("pushed in at one end")).

Whereabouts in the country are you Gav DT?

(Not that I'll be much help, better on 4strokes than 2strokes myself)

P

the DT50MX clutch rod is a solid bar, i will have a look in my haynes manual and see what i can dig up.

yours is the same year as mine, mines done 24,000 miles and is still on the original rod... any idea where the other 1cm is going if it has snapped off inside the case?

the DT50MX clutch rod is a solid bar, i will have a look in my haynes manual and see what i can dig up.

yours is the same year as mine, mines done 24,000 miles and is still on the original rod... any idea where the other 1cm is going if it has snapped off inside the case?

Hi,

read my post there is a bb between the 2 rods this sounds like a wind up

Regards Jim

yeh, just had a look in my haynes and if indeed the clutch rod is snapping then there is something very wrong but i doubt it is clutch related

which of the two pushrods is supposedly snapping?, the one on the left-hand side or right-hand side?

Done some research :-

353-16357-00-00 ROD, PUSH 2

93503-16010-00 Ball

137-16356-00-00 ROD, PUSH 1

93102-04382-00 OIL SEAL, SD-TYPE (257-153879-00)

is the make up of the clutch system ( with the exception of the crankcase cover and the worm).

The only rod that could break is Rod Push 2 ... if the other was at fault the r/h c/c cover & clutch would have to be stripped to repalce. On reflection either if the rod bent of snapped off at a cm you would have oil peeing out from the seal that dont appear to be an issue !

Regards Jim

OK some of you are suggesting the rod bending or even snapping, I think it more likely that the the ball bearing is missing. What would then happen is the rod would spin round as the clutch was operated, this would then create heat at the adjuster (worm lever) end and wear the rod away at that point. The evidence of this would be iron filings around the actuator mechanism, did you notice any Gav?

OK some of you are suggesting the rod bending or even snapping, I think it more likely that the the ball bearing is missing. What would then happen is the rod would spin round as the clutch was operated, this would then create heat at the adjuster (worm lever) end and wear the rod away at that point. The evidence of this would be iron filings around the actuator mechanism, did you notice any Gav?

Hi OG,

Without the bb the clutch would not work at all. unless an extended adjuster screw has been fitted, Push rod 1 (the one with the mushroom on would also be worn out and the adjuster screw would need to be replaced with a longer one at regular intervals.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online